• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Almond Rhubarb Muffins

John DePaula

Almond Rhubarb Muffins

Serves 12 as Dessert.

For this recipe, I started out with a base from Southern Living Annual Recipes 1986 (p. 301) for Peachy Almond Muffins. I modified it by replacing half of the flour with almond meal and substituting fresh cut rhubarb for the peaches. If you don't have rhubarb, I think that fresh raspberries would be great!

Another way I modified the recipe was to add a crunchy brown sugar, chopped nut topping.

These muffins are not overly sweet - but that's how I like them! Enjoy.

TOPPING

• 1/4 c brown sugar
  • 1/2 c slivered almonds, coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp butter, melted

MUFFIN BATTER

• 1-1/2 c rhubarb, fresh
  • 3/4 c almond meal
  • 3/4 c flour, all-purpose
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2/3 c granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 c vegetable oil
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp almond extract

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease 12 muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray.

TOPPING:

Mix brown sugar, coarsely chopped slivered almonds, cinnamon and melted butter; set aside.

MUFFIN BATTER:

Coarsely chop the rhubarb and set aside.

Combine almond meal, flour, salt, baking soda, and granulated sugar in a mixing bowl. Stir with a whisk to combine.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla and almond extract. Stir until dry ingredients are moistened. Add rhubarb (or fruit), stir just until combined.

Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins, filling each cavity two-thirds full. Sprinkle each muffin with topping mixture.

Bake at 350ºF for 20-25 minutes. Vanilla Ice Cream makes a nice addition.

Keywords: Easy, Cake, Dessert, Snack, French

( RG1950 )

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”