• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Banana Ketchup

andiesenji

Banana Ketchup

Banana ketchup recipe

2 bananas, large.

1 1/4 cups water

1/4 cup sultanas plumped in 1/4 cup water

1/2 chopped onion

2 cloves garlic

1/4 cup tomato paste

3/4 cup apple cider vinegar

1/2 cup palm sugar (or dark brown sugar)

1/4 cup Golden syrup (or light corn syrup)

2 tablespoons dark rum

1 teaspoon sea salt

1/2 teaspoon allspice, freshly ground

1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper, ground

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground

1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground

1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, ground

Chop peeled bananas and toss in blender with water. Blend till smooth.

Scrape into micro-waveable glass bowl and set aside

Add the sultanas in their liquid to the blender, then add the onion, garlic, tomato paste and vinegar.

Blend well and add to bananas in bowl.

Heat in microwave, full strength for 2 minutes

Add the sugar, syrup, rum, stir well.

Microwave for 3 minutes and stir well

Mix the spices together and add to the mixture in the bowl.

Blend thoroughly.

Microwave for 5 minutes and stir thoroughly, scraping the sides of the bowl to mix everything.

Repeat this process three or four times until the ketchup has reduced by 1/3 and is thickened to the correct consistency.

This may take longer in very humid conditions.

You may have to continue the microwave/stirring routine several additional times until the consistency is the way you expect ketchup to be.

Allow to cool and place in blender, blend until totally smooth.

When finished place in a sterilized glass jar.

Allow to cool and store in the fridge for no more than two weeks.

To make a spicier ketchup chop a small dried hot chile and soak in the water with the raisins.

( RG1907 )

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett