• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gingerbread Fruitcake

alanamoana

Gingerbread Fruitcake

Serves 16 as Dessert.

This is yet another recipe I have bastardized for the eGullet Baking and Pastry Challenge. Again, the original recipe is from a colleague - Christine Law.

The recipe calls for a 16" long loaf pan. If you don't have one of these, I made mine in a 9" square cake pan without any problems.

This is a very dense and moist gingerbread that I chose to stud with boozy fruit, nuts and a large amount of diced candied ginger.

• 1 c Guiness Stout (I used both regular guiness and Extra Stout to good results)
  • 1 c black molasses (I used regular molasses)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 9 oz all purpose flour
  • 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 T ground ginger
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • ground cardamom
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 c packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 c granulated sugar
  • 3/4 c vegetable oil
  • 1-1/2 c dried fruit that has been plumped up and soaked with brandy or other liquor
  • 1-1/2 c chopped, toasted nuts (your choice)
  • 1/2 c finely diced candied/crystallized ginger

Yes, the ingredient list seems daunting...but it isn't much and it doesn't take much to mix up and bake. If you love ginger, then this cake is for you.

Preheat oven to 350F

Butter or spray pan and then line bottom with parchment

1. Bring stout and molasses to a boil in a saucepan (use a larger saucepan than you think because you'll add the baking soda and it will foam up). Whisk in baking soda and allow to cool to room temperature. In the meantime, you can measure out the rest of your ingredients!

2. Stir or sift together the dry ingredients up to and including the black pepper. Do this in a large bowl.

3. Using a whisk attachment in a mixer, whisk the eggs and sugar on low speed. Whisk in the the oil and then the cooled molasses mixture.

4. Make a well in the dry ingredients, pour and gradually stir in the wet ingredients. Make sure to get all the lumps out but don't overmix.

5. Add the soaked fruit, nuts and diced candied ginger...they'll most likely sink to the bottom, but that's okay.

6. Pour into your prepared pan and bake at 350F for about 50 minutes to an hour. A toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake should come out clean. Cool in the pan for about half an hour and then remove from pan to cool completely.

Note: to make the fruit mixture, please go to my other fruitcake recipe and read the note there.

Hmmm...I'm trying to add a link, but it doesn't seem to work in RecipeGullet. The title of the other recipe is "Poundcake-Like Fruitcake".

Keywords: Dessert, Cake, Christmas

( RG1881 )