• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Poundcake-Like Fruitcake

alanamoana

Poundcake-Like Fruitcake

Serves 14 as Dessert.

I received a recipe for a brandied chocolate cherry fruitcake from a colleague of mine named Christine Law. I completely bastardized her recipe for an eGullet Pastry and Baking Challenge entry.

The following recipe is my version of her fruitcake. This isn't so much a fruitcake as it is a cake with a lot of boozy fruit, toasted nuts and chocolate bits thrown in. It is dense, moist and flavorful.

• 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 c buttermilk
  • 1 c butter, room temp
  • 2 c granulated sugar
  • 2 extra large eggs (I used 3 large eggs)
  • 3 c all purpose flour, unbleached
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 3 c dried fruit plumped in water and then soaked in brandy or other liquor (instructions to follow*)
  • 1 c chopped, toasted nuts (your choice)
  • 1-1/2 c semisweet chocolate chunks (1/2" size)

Preheat oven to 325F

Prepare a 9" round cake pan by buttering and flouring. If possible, use parchment on the bottom of the pan.

1. Add baking soda to buttermilk, whisk until foamy and set aside.

2. Cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy.

3. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Remember to scrape down the sides of your mixing bowl frequently as well.

4. Stir salt into flour. Add dry ingredients, alternating with buttermilk mixture, mixing until combined after each addition.

5. Fold in nuts (I used a blend of chopped, toasted walnuts and pecans), cherries and chocolate.

6. Pour into prepared 9" round cake pan, smooth the top and bake until cake is firm to the touch or just starting to pull away from the sides of the pan. Probably about one and a half hours. Let cool in the pan for about an hour.

* For the dried fruit, I sort of did this on the fly, you can interpret it any way you like. I made a large quantity of fruit and then measured out the amount for the cake from this large batch:

I bought an assortment of dried fruit, including the following: cherries, cranberries, apricots, blueberries and golden raisins. I diced the apricots so that they were about the same size as the other fruits. I brought a large pot of water up to a boil, turned off the heat and then dumped all the fruit into it. I let the fruit soak for a bit then drained off all the water. While the fruit was still hot, I poured enough brandy (with a splash of Stroh rum and vanilla extract) to cover the fruit. I covered the whole mess with plastic wrap directly on the surface and allowed it to sit at room temperature until the fruit absorbed all of the alcohol. This will keep in the fridge for a looooong time. I'm sure you can keep pouring more alcohol on top if you like it stronger.

Keywords: Dessert, Cake, Christmas

( RG1880 )