• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

K8's Hot Fudge Cake aka Cinqo de Mayo

K8memphis

K8's Hot Fudge Cake aka Cinqo de Mayo

I had recipes to follow but I just wound up making this one up. I didn't seem to have enough ingredients to make this or that exact cake so I just improvised. I was so happy when it didn't fall!!It was awesome. Don't let the cayenne fool you--it's not shocking or hot --it leaves a pleasing glow in your throat--very very nice. Going for a kind of a Cinqo De Mayo Ole~ type a thing

This is a double batch. And it's exactly what I used.

K8's Hot Fudge Cake

3 ounces of unsweetened Baker's chocolate

Hershey's Extra Dark 60% cacao 3.52 ounce bar (got it at Walgreen's)

2 ounces of German Chocolate

^^^melt & set aside^^^

4 cups sugar

3 cups sifted all purpose flour--less one heaping spoonful (sugar spoon size)

1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

2 - 3 generous teaspoons saigon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder

1 heaping spoonful (sugar spoon size) Valrhona cocoa powder

^^^ whisk all together in a mixing bowl & set aside ^^^

2 cups strong hot coffee

1 cup sour cream (room temp-ish)

1 cup oil

1 tablespoon vanilla

^^^Blend coffee, sr crm, vanilla & oil together with a whisk ^^^ Then add to powder mixture & combine well.

4 eggs, room temp

^^^add eggs one at a time to mixture mixing well before adding the next egg ^^^ then add chocolate & mix well.

Makes nice half sheet or 4 eight inch layers. Bake 350 for like 40 ish minutes until toothpick comes out clean. I filled the cake with a cream cheese and swiss meringue buttercream combo. Then iced it with regular buttercream in order to cover with fondant.

It's not too late to live happily ever after. :)

You can use any combination of chocolate. But this particular blend is really good. I've made it with Baker's unsweetened too. But try real hard to find a good Saigon cinnamon. They well it in the big grocery stores now. Vietnamese or Saigon cinnamon.

I recommend at least a cream cheese filling if not fully iced with a cream cheese icing. The cheese balances the 'hot fudge' to perfection. I would stick with a vanilla icing though. I would not want to blur the rich chocolate flavor of the cake.

You will love this cake.

Keywords: Dessert, Snack, Easy, American, Chocolate, Mexican, Cake

( RG1766 )