• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Warren's Chicken Salad with grapes and walnuts

handmc

Warren's Chicken Salad with grapes and walnuts

This is a recipe I created for our local church bazaar. I sell it by the quart and by the sandwhich every year. It is very popular and very nice in the summer.

• 2 c cubed chicken
  • 1 c peeled grapes cut in half
  • 1/2 c chopped walnuts
  • 1/4 c chopped fresh tarragon
  • 1/2 c finely chopped celery
  • 1-1/2 c mayo (Helmans)
  • 2 fl oz sherry or more to taste

Salt and pepper to taste

Combine in a large bowl the chicken, grapes, celery and walnuts.

In a seperate bowl combine the mayo, tarragon, sherry and salt and pepper until the flavors balance. Don't pour all the sherry in at once rather stream it in until you can taste the sherry but it does not overpower everything else. If the dressing is too thick you can thin it out a bit with a bit or milk or cream.

Fold the chicken mixture and the dressing together and place in the fridge to chill. While this can be served warm the flavor is better if served after there has been an opportunity for the flavor to meld a bit.

Allegric to nuts? This salad is very tasty without them. I added the walnut for their crunch. The extra flavor the nuts brought to the dish was a bonus.

Keywords: Salad, Chicken, Easy

( RG1736 )

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren