• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Persian Pickled Grapes

The Old Foodie

Persian Pickled Grapes

I have no idea where I got the original recipe from, but I have fiddled with the amount of sweetness and the additional flavourings over time. These are great with cold meats, cheese platters etc, and are so easy they hardly constitute a "recipe".

1 bottle good wine vinegar (750 ml)- white or red is fine, but I might try pomegranate next time.

1/4 cup Golden Syrup; sugar works OK but does not give the slightly caramelly flavour. Honey might be good.

2 teaspoons salt.

a bunch of grapes.

a stick of cinnamon if you are so inclined.

Boil the vinegar, syrup, and salt together. Cool. Pour over little bunches of the grapes that you have snipped off from the big bunch, and put into sterilised glass jars (with the cinnamon stick if you wish). Seal and keep in a cool dark place for a month before eating (if you can!).

Keywords: Easy, Fruit, Condiment

( RG1735 )

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday