• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MARIA BONBONS (Brazilian Candy)

MARIA BONBONS (Brazilian Candy)

Serves 60 as Dessert.

Easy to make. Even kids can do it!!

• 3 packages Maria cookies
  • 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk

½ cup seedless raisin

• 2 c (12 oz pkg) chocolate Morsels
  • 1 T vegetable shortening

PREPARE:

Grind cookies in a food processor until you get coarse flour.

Place ground cookies in a big bowl. Pour condensed milk while mixing with a wood spoon until you get dough.

Make small candy balls. Place couple raisins inside the balls while shaping them.

Coat candies with chocolate:

Line baking sheet with waxed paper. Melt morsels and shortening in small saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth.

Dip each candy into chocolate using a fork; place on prepared baking sheets.

Let stand until chocolate is set.

SERVE: Place in candy cups to serve.

Make about 60 candies.

Keywords: Dessert

( RG1730 )

• Similar Content

• By shain
      Apx 160 g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight (or one can)
      800g sunchokes, washed well and diced (2cm wide)
      400g carrots (3 large), peeled and diced (1cm wide)
      2 large onions, diced
      600g pumpkin, diced (3 cm wide)
      Apx 3 tbsp worth of fresh rosemary
      4 bay leaves
      4 tsp nutritional yeast or a little MSG
      1 tbsp butter
      2 tsp cumin seeds
      1.5 tsp coriander seeds
      2 tsp fenugreek seeds
      3 large garlic cloves, minced
      chili to taste
      Apx 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
      2 tsp paprika
      1 tsp turmeric
      salt to taste
      200g spinach
      2-3 tbsp lemon juice
      handful of chopped parsley
      black pepper

Cook the chickpeas until tender in salted water. Keep the cooking water.
      Microwave the carrot cubes on high heat for two minutes.
      Coat carrots and sunchokes in oil and roast at high heat until browned, but still retains some bite.
      -
      Meanwhile, fry onion until browned.
      Add pumpkin, rosemary, bay leaves, nutritional yeast, chickpea liquid and water to cover. Cook until pumpkin softens (I use a pressure cooker, in which this takes 5 minutes).
      Add chickpeas, sunchokes, carrots, water to cover and salt to taste.
      Cook until softens to your liking, but not too much.
      -
      Meanwhile, fry cumin and coriander in butter until aromatic.
      Add fenugreek, garlic, chili and thyme. Fry until aromatic.
      Grind with some salt, add turmeric and paprika.
      Add to soup.
      -
      Add spinach, parsley, lemon and pepper.
      Adjust to taste.

• By Keith Orr
      Sorta Secret Aardvark Sauce (Habenero Hot Sauce)
      I thought I'd submit my recipe which is a clone of a locally available sauce here in Portland OR called Secret Aardvark Sauce.
      Sorta Secret Aardvark Sauce
      1 – 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes or roasted tomatoes chopped - include the juice
      1 – 14.5 oz of rice wine vinegar. Use the now empty tomato can to measure
      1-1/2 cups of peeled and grated carrots (packed into the measuring cup)
      1 cup of finely diced white onion
      1/4 cup of yellow mustard
      1/3 cup of sugar
      2 teaspoons of Morton’s Kosher Salt
      1 teaspoon of black pepper
      13 small Habaneros – seeded and membranes removed. (This was 2 oz. of Habaneros before cutting off the tops and removing the seeds and membranes)
      2 teaspoons curry powder
      1 cup of water when cooking
      5 or 6 cloves of garlic - roasted if you've got it
      Put it all in the crockpot on high until everything is tender. About 3 hours  Note: I used the crockpot so I don't have to worry about scorching it while it cooks. 
      Whirl in food processor – Don’t puree until smooth – make it lightly/finely chunky.
      Makes 3 pints - To can process pint jars in a water bath canner for 15 minutes
      I've thought about making this with peaches or mangoes too, but haven't tried it yet.

Edited for clarity on 11/9/2020

Keywords: Hot and Spicy, Carribean, Condiment, Sauce, Easy, Food Processor
      ( RG2003 )
    • By shain
      500g short hollow pasta - I use Gomiti (elbows) but you can use penne or any similar shape. 200-250 g sour cream 300-350 fromage blanc or another mildly tart "farmer 's cheese" such as tvorog or quark 6 medium eggs (or 5 large ones) 8-10 spring onions, thinly sliced apx 6 tbsp chopped parsley 2 garlic loves, minced Optional: 2 tsp nutritional yeast (or a bit of MSG) salt to taste (1.5 tsp) 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper Bread crumbs topping:
      apx 15-25g butter 9 tbsp breadcrumbs (divided 7 + 2) a large pinch of salt  
      Mix everything but the pasta and bread crumbs topping in a large bowl. Boil pasta in salted water slightly short of al-dante. Briefly wash the pasta to stop further cooking and drain well. Mix in with the batter. Melt the butter and mix with 7 tbsp bread crumbs and a bit of salt. Grease a baking pan or mold - I much prefer a silicone mold, but you can also use a springform pan. Cover the bottom of the pan with the buttery breadcrumbs. Top with the remaining 2 tbsp of breadcrumbs. Gently pour the pasta mixture on top. Bake at 190dC for apx 35 minutes, until set. You may need to cover the pan if it seems to be drying. Cool for a few minutes before flipping over a sheet pan. You may have loose breadcrumbs, put them back on top. When ready to serve, put under a medium-strong broiler until crisp and browned.  

pictured before broiling.

• By Sheel
      Prawn Balchao is a very famous Goan pickle that has a sweet, spicy and tangy flavor to it. 
      For the balchao paste you will need:
      > 8-10 kashmiri red chillies
      > 4-5 Byadagi red chillies
      > 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
      > 1/2 tsk turmeric powder 
      > 1 tsp peppercorn
      > 6 garlic cloves
      > 1/2 tsp cloves
      > 1 inch cinnamon stick
      > Vinegar 
      First you will need to marinate about 250 grams of prawns in some turmeric powder and salt. After 15 minutes deep fry them in oil till them become golden n crisp. Set them aside and add tsp vinegar to them and let it sit for 1 hour. Now, make a paste of all the ingredients mentioned under the balchao paste and make sure not to add any water. In the same pan used for fryin the prawns, add in some chopped garlic and ginger. Lightly fry them and immediately add one whole chopped onion. Next, add the balchao paste amd let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in the prawns and cook until the gravy thickens. Finally add 1 tsp sugar and salt according to your taste. Allow it to cool. This can be stored in a glass jar. Let this mature for 1-3 weeks before its use. Make sure never to use water at any stage. This can be enjoyed with a simple lentil curry and rice.
    • By Kasia
      A SANDWICH TO GO

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for a snack which you can grab and eat "on the go". I know that it is unhealthy. We should celebrate eating and eat calmly and with deliberation. However, sometimes the day is too short for everything on our schedule and we still have to eat. Admittedly, we can sin and go for some fast food, but it is healthier and tastier to prepare something quickly in our own kitchen.

Today, Camembert cheese and cranberries in a fresh, crunchy roll take the lead role. It sounds easy and yummy, doesn't it? Try it and get on with your day . Today I used a homemade cranberry preserve which was left over from dessert, but if you like you can buy your own.

Ingredients:
      2 fresh rolls (your favourite ones)
      150g of camembert cheese
      1 handful of lettuce
      2 teaspoons of butter
      2 teaspoons of pine nuts or sunflower seeds
      preserve
      100g of fresh cranberries
      3 tablespoons of brown sugar
      100ml of apple juice

Wash the cranberries. Put the cranberries, sugar and apple juice into a pan with a heavy bottom and boil with the lid on for 10-12 minutes, stirring from time to time. Try it and if necessary add some sugar. Leave to cool down. Cut the rolls in half and spread with the butter. Put some lettuce on one half of the roll. Slice the camembert cheese and arrange it on the lettuce. Put a fair portion of the cranberry preserve on top of the cheese. Sprinkle with the roast pine nuts or sunflower seeds and cover with the second half of the roll.

Enjoy your meal!