• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strange childhood food memories

Double 0

I did a search to see if this topic had been discussed, but couldn't find it. My mom would take can of white tuna and some softened sweet butter and put in the blender (no food processors then) and mix it untill it was a paste, then serve it on ritz.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Peanut Butter sandwiches with strange things added:

American cheese slice

bananas

lettuce (my cousins all time favorite!)

I have to admit that I hated peanut butter so anything with it was gross.

She also never actully made me eat the sandwiches, it was usually for her or one of my many siblings.

Nothing was as bad as my dad's sandwiches (that he only made for himself), goose liver topped with miracle whip and bread and butter pickles (my father's home made ones usually) or sweet pickles, all on pumpernickel bread.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

My dad and I ate raw onion sandwiches - on Wonder bread, with Miracle Whip.  Ah, the innocence of childhood. 

jeez, cathy, that's one of the hors d'oeuvres that i currently make!! add a little parsley and cut 'em in small circles, and there you have it. a *huge* hit at parties, if you can believe it.

Pea soup with hot dogs. Yum! Thanks mom!!! (Makes my wife turn green though.)

Well, tell your wife she is missing one of the great pleasures of the world! My mom also always put in slices of Hebrew National hot dogs, and sometimes fine egg noodles, too. A great dish!

Peanut Butter sandwiches with strange things added:

bananas...

What's strange about THAT???? (So much better than jelly!)

Mine really is pretty strange by comparison, though: I can remember sitting in my high chair, eating chicken feet, necks, and stomachs after they were used to make soup. Actually, not the feet that often, because my mother mostly kept those for herself :angry:

My Mom occasionally did Porcupine Balls - basically balls of ground beef mixed with rice in a tomato sauce...I vividly remeber these for some reason...and havent heard of anyone else having them...has anyone? and/or have a recipe. thanks :smile:

Man, porcupine meatballs were a staple. The secret sauce was nothing more than Campbell's Tomato Soup. Ugh. She always served these with boiled potatoes.

My mom would always eat saltine crackers crumbled in a glass of milk when she had an upset stomach. Ick.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Yes, the tomato sauce really kinda sucked, very watery. Forget the recipe, I guess it was pretty bad.

However, it would be fun to relive that though, for a night - so if anyone has their mom's porcupine meatball secret recipe cough it up, please... :biggrin:

My dad and I ate raw onion sandwiches - on Wonder bread, with Miracle Whip.  Ah, the innocence of childhood.  

jeez, cathy, that's one of the hors d'oeuvres that i currently make!! add a little parsley and cut 'em in small circles, and there you have it. a *huge* hit at parties, if you can believe it.

That was the hors d'oeuvre that made James Beard's career. He called it, "Irma's Onion Sandwiches." I forget who Irma was...maybe his business partner.

I was talking to my sister earlier about this and she reminded me that my mom would make ronzoni spagetti with watered down ketchup (only Heinz) and individually wrapped american cheese food product on top. She would then bake it untill the cheese melted and the spagetti would get crisp. I loved this as a kid but it might gag me today. My sister loved peanut butter and salami sanwiches on white toast. :shock::wacko:

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I had a neighbor lady who used to babysit my brother and I, along with several other neighborhood kids. She used to offer us ice cream cones...with no ice cream!

What a strange sight, a group of kids standing around, munching on dry cones! :wacko:

I am under the impression that most peanut butter is made from roasted peanuts. It has a nice peanutty flavor, but the raw stuff tasted kind of starchy and stale. I have not had it in ages; perhaps it is no longer available. That would be lovely! :raz:

Edit: Just saw Sandra's post--This thread moves fast!

My mom used to drink buttermilk and tomato juice mixed together.

Also, she would heat a can of asparagus but before she would serve it to us, she would drain the hot liquid, pour it into a juice glass, and drink it like a hot beverage with her dinner!

She also salted her watermelon, but I think that's pretty common...

Me? I didn't eat anything weird...unless you call coveting all the crispy skin on roasted poultry....weird.

I call it heaven!

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Here's a food habit, more than a specific food memory.:

I grew up in a household that never had pizza as a meal, just as a snack. It would be late at night, or perhaps close to 8pm, when my dad would suggest we call the Somerset Inn for a snack. AS the oldest, I would put a coat over my pajamas, and go with him. They always told us the pizza would take 20 minutes, but we always left right away..to wait at the bar. My did would order rolling rocks in the nip bottle, and I would get a coke with a cherry, and we would sit in the corner of the bar near the kitchen, waiting for our name to be called. The smells, that musky bar smell, working man's bar smell, mixed with the baking pizzas...very distinctive,a nd 35 years later I can still recall it. I would place the pizza on my lap on the ride home, and got to sit in the front seat! Then we'd settle down to the Partridge Family and the pizza...

My dad and I ate raw onion sandwiches - on Wonder bread, with Miracle Whip.  Ah, the innocence of childhood.  

tommy, this can be great. (Especially with good sourdough bread and mayo, blanched onions, fresh herbs.) One of the few sandwiches I like to slice into tiny, crustless squares. Circles sound fun but more waste.

edit:

I just saw Sandra's reply. :laugh::laugh:

And Holly's right about lobster.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

That was the hors d'oeuvre that made James Beard's career. He called it, "Irma's Onion Sandwiches." I forget who Irma was...maybe his business partner.

According to The James Beard Celebration Cookbook, it's Irma Rhodes. She and her brother Bill collaborated with him in opening Hors d'Oeuvre, a catering business. Irma told Craig Clairborne, who provided the recipe for the book, that Bill visited a Paris bordello in the 1920s where he was served "irresistable morsels of food made with thin rounds of bread cut from a brioche loaf." It was their idea to sprinkle parsley around the edges though.