• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kiev Cake

Alinka

Kiev Cake

Serves 8 as Dessert.

In one of the Russian cooking forums this cake was a hit. After seeing countless pictures, I finally got around to making it. Did not bother with decorating, because I was making it to just see how it tastes. It actually reminded me of Russe Praline from The Art of the Cake: Modern French Baking and Decorating that I made some time ago.

For meringue:

The following ingredients and baking instructions are for ONE cake layer. We will need TWO of these, i.e. all amounts need to be doubled. Due to the volume of the whipped whites, it’s easier to make one layer at a time.

4 egg whites

1 cup super-fine sugar

1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar

1 cup chopped nuts (in the original, hazelnuts or cashews are recommended, but I used almonds and walnuts; both worked fine)

2 tablespoons potato starch (I used cornstarch)

For buttercream:

3 egg yolks

1 cup sugar

1 cup milk

300 grams butter (1 stick is 113 grams)

1 tablespoon cocoa powder

Make meringue:

Preheat oven to 275 F.

Beat together egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until soft peaks are formed. Still beating on high speed, gradually add sugar intil whites form stiff and glossy peaks.

Sift starch over whites, then sprinkle nuts on top. Fold nuts gently but thoroughly into meringue. Spread evenly onto baking sheet lined with parchment. Make sure there is room for meringue to spread when baking. I drew a 10-inch circle on the parchment, but I think this cake works better in a rectangular shape.

Bake 1.5-2 hours, until firm and pale golden.

Cool on rack; peel off parchment.

Make buttercream:

Stirring constantly, bring milk, sugar and yolks to boil; cook until thickens. Beat cooled mixture into butter; add cocoa.

Assemble cake, layering meringue with buttercream; sprinkle with crushed meringue trimmings or nuts.

Keywords: Cake, Eastern Euro/Russian, Intermediate

( RG1690 )