• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Goullabaisse"

phatj

"Goullabaisse"

Serves 8 as Main Dishor 12 as Soup.

I wanted to try a bouillabaisse, but I dislike fennel, and didn't want to blow the money on all the seafood for a dish I wouldn't like, so I decided to try different seasonings. I ended up deciding on the goulash seasonings: paprika and caraway seed.

Seafood stock

• 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped
  • 1 large clove garlic, crushed
  • 1 sprig fresh parsley
  • 1 lb assorted white fish skeletons and scraps
  • shells from shrimp
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp freshly-ground black pepper

"Goullabaisse"

• 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 carrot, minced
  • 1 celery stalk, minced
  • 2 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed
  • 2 T EVOO
  • 1 lb tomatoes, peeled (optional), seeded and chopped
  • 2 T paprika (non-smoked)
  • 1 tsp caraway seeds
  • 1 lb boiling potatoes, cubed
  • 2 lb assorted white fish, cut into bite-sized chunks
  • 1 lb raw shrimp, peels reserved for stock
  • 1 lb clams and/or mussels

For the seafood stock:

Put the chopped veggies & parsley into a small stockpot with about two quarts or so of water. If you have fish skeletons, add them in as well (I never have them on hand, so I usually chop up a bit of the fish I'm going to put into the soup). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Reserve the peels from the shrimp for the soup and add them to the pot. Simmer about 15 minutes.

For the soup:

1. In a 8-qt stockpot, heat EVOO over high heat until shimmering.

2. Add onion, carrot and celery and season with a little salt and black pepper. Saute over high heat until onions are translucent.

3. Add tomatoes (I never bother peeling tomatoes, but you'll wind up with the peels separated and curled into little tubes in your soup if you don't) and stir for a minute over high heat.

4. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and let sweat for a few minutes.

5. Add paprika and caraway seed, stirring until well combined. Simmer for a few minutes.

6. Add potatoes.

7. Using a wire-mesh strainer, strain seafood stock directly into the soup pot.

8. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer about 15 minutes.

9. Dump in seafood and turn heat to high. Stir gently until shrimp are fully pink and shellfish are opened (the soup probably won't return to a boil; that's OK).

Serve with french bread to sop up yummy juices.

Keywords: Soup, Main Dish, Seafood, Easy, Fish, Shrimp, Dinner

( RG1676 )