• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baby Food Brownies

srhcb

Baby Food Brownies

I found an interesting whole wheat brownie recipe in the King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cook Book. The only problem was that the recipe calls for applesauce, which I was out of. But, then I recalled the last time a baby had visited my house ... and, here's my modified version of the recipe:

• 1/2 c (1 stick) butter or margarine
  • 2 T vegetable oil
  • 3/4 c sugar
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 c applesauce (or (1) 6oz jar of Gerbers "3" Applesauce)
  • 1-1/4 tsp vanilla
  • 1 c King Arthur Traditional Whole Wheat Flour
  • 6 T cocoa (or carob if you want to share with your dogs)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt

Topping:

• 2 T sugar
  • 1/4 c chopped nuts
  • 1/2 c chocolate chips

In a medium bowl combine butter/margarine, oil, sugar, eggs, applesauce/baby food and vanilla, mix well.

In a separate bowl, mix flour, cocoa/carob, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stirring just to combine. Spoon batter into a greased 8 x 8-inch pan.

Mix Topping ingredients together and sprinkle over batter.

Bake brownies in a preheated 350°F oven 30 to 35 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before cutting.

Keywords: Dessert, Intermediate

( RG1655 )