• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dottie's Chicken

snowangel

Dottie's Chicken

Dottie was amazing to me. When I was growing up in Thailand, it was Dottie and her husband, Gordon, who taught me to scuba dive. They introduced me to Kao Soi when they moved to Chieng Mai. It was with Dottie and Gordon that I ate squid and noodles on Sunday mornings in Pattaya (back when it was a sleepy little fishing town) before we got on the boat to scuba dive. She fed me my first brie.

Sadly, Dottie died in 1995 of breast cancer. Gordon is alive and well, and has since re-married a Thai woman and they divide their time between a house in Bangkok, a place up north that they are building, with occasional forays back to the U. S. to visit Gordon's kids and grandkids.

Dottie gave me this recipe along with a few others and some cooking gear when I got married.

• 3 lb chicken pieces
  • 1/2 c soy sauce
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 T grated ginger
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp allspice
  • 3 star anise
  • pinch ground cloves

Mix all ingredients except chicken. Marinate overnight.

Bake at 325 until chicken is done.

Keywords: Main Dish, Hors d'oeuvre, Easy, Chicken

( RG1604 )

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"