• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chorizos toluqueños Esperanza

bjcohan

Chorizos toluqueños Esperanza

When I lived and studied in Mexico, I was fortunate to spend several months in Cuernavaca, Morelos, with Esperanza Cuevas de Baron, a marvelous cook. Pera took me to the market each morning and allowed me the privilege of cooking alongside her as she prepared the comida each day. We did a bit of travelling as well, exploring the wonderful regional variations of Mexican cuisine. This recipe for chorizo, from Toluca, is one of my favorites. A strong exhaust fan is essential, as the toasting chiles fill the air with a glorious but very pungent smoke. This chorizo can be used in bulk, though I prefer to stuff it using natural casings.

A note on substitutions: The measurements in this recipe do not have to be precise. If you like more garlic, go for it. American cinnamon can be substituted for the canela. The arbol chiles can be omitted if you don't want the zing. For an interesting variation, substitute dried chipotle for the pimentón. ...

Makes about 3 pounds of chorizo.

• 1 kg pork
  • 350 g lard
  • 100 g ancho chiles
  • 30 g pasilla chiles
  • 2 g arbol chiles
  • 2 g canela (Mexican cinnamon)
  • 1/2 g cloves
  • 2 g cilantro seeds
  • 2 g oregano (preferably Mexican)
  • 1/2 g cumin
  • 6 g pimentón (smoked paprika)
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 small onion
  • 1/2 c vinegar
  • 2 tsp salt
  • natural casings (optional)

Before starting, be sure that the lard and pork (as well as all other ingredients and your utensils) are very cold.

Prepare the chiles. Remove seeds and stems, and toast the chiles on a comal or griddle (or in a cast iron pan) until they are dry and brittle but not burned. Set aside to cool. (If you cannot get whole chiles, or if you don't have an adequate exhaust system, you can substitute powdered chiles but the result will be inferior though still tasty.)

Once the chiles are cooled, place them in a blender or food processor with the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Cut the pork into cubes (about 3/4"). Toss the spice mixture with the pork, cover and chill for several hours.

Add the lard and grind, using the large plate of the grinder, or mince them finely using a knife or food processor. This chorizo can be ground more finely if you prefer.

Stuff the casings, being careful not to make them so full that you will not be able to twist them into links. Twist into links approximately 10 cm long (about 4"). You can also use this chorizo in bulk.

I find that they taste best if they are kept in the refrigerator for a day before cooking.

¡Buen provecho!

Keywords: Pork, Mexican, Easy

( RG1584 )

Barb Cohan-Saavedra

Co-owner of Paloma Mexican Haute Cuisine, lawyer, jewelry designer, glass beadmaker, dessert-maker (I'm a lawyer who bakes, not a pastry chef), bookkeeper, payroll clerk and caffeine-addict