• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steamed Christmas Pudding

JayBassin

Steamed Christmas Pudding

This is my mother-in-law's recipe. It's best served warm with hot lemon sauce, hard sauce, or warm vanilla sauce. It's also very good cold. I posted a recipe for "Lemon Sauce" on Recipe Gullet, but the hyperlink thingy wouldn't work.

Mise en place

• 1 c Fine dry bread crumbs
  • 1 c Granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tsp Grated nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp Baking soda
  • 1 tsp Baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 c Raisins, chopped dates, or mixture
  • 1/2 c Coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
  • 1 Large egg, lightly beaten with the milk
  • 1 c Milk
  • 2 T Butter, melted
  • 2 T Cognac or other eau de vie (optional)

Prepare a 1-1/2 qt double boiler or covered pot by spraying with vegetable spray. Bring water to a simmer in the base of the double boiler, or in a larger pot into which the covered pot will fit.

Note: It is imperative to use dry bread crumbs, not fresh. This is the only recipe I know where dry bread crumbs are useful. Do not use "seasoned" bread crumbs.

Stir together dry ingredients in order given, through the fruit and nuts (she was very clear on this part: go random at your peril). Mix together the egg and milk and stir into the dry ingredients. Add the butter and stir in. Add the brandy if used (this was my addition) and stir in.

Pour into prepared pot, cover, and simmer for 2 hours. Invert onto serving plate. May be chilled and rewarmed in the pot. It needs to be warm to release from the pot. Do not line the bottom of the pot with parchment.

Keywords: Dessert, Easy

( RG1544 )

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau