• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yellow "Angel Food" Cake

ruthcooks

Yellow "Angel Food" Cake
Serves 14.

This is my version of the cake used for Blum's Coffee-Crunch Cake.

If your mixer has two bowls, you’re all set. If not, you can use my method of scraping the beaten whites onto waxed paper to save washing a bowl.

Serve this cake with whipped cream and hot blueberry sauce, raspberries, or strawberries. I have been known to eat it plain for breakfast.

• 1 c egg whites
  • Dash lemon juice
  • 3/4 c sugar
  • 1 c plus 4 T. sifted cake flour or 1 cup plus 2 T. sifted AP flour
  • 3/4 c sugar
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 1/4 c cold water
  • 1 T lemon juice
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp salt

Have all ingredients at room temperature before starting. Place the egg whites and dash of lemon in the mixer bowl. Lemon juice will serve the same stabilizing function as cream of tartar, which I find unreliable.

Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Add 3/4 cup sugar, 1 T. at a time, beating until peaks are stiff but not dry, and mixture is no longer grainy when a bit is rubbed between thumb and forefinger. Scrape egg whites gently onto a sheet of waxed paper or parchment. Do not wash bowl.

Combine cake flour and second 3/4 cup sugar with a whisk and dump into the bowl. Make a well. Add the egg yolks, cold water, 1 T. lemon juice, vanilla and salt to the well. Beat at low to medium speed until mixture reaches the ribbon stage. Fold in egg whites a third at a time.

Carefully pour batter into tube pan. Cut through the batter with a table knife to remove bubbles (this cake is especially prone to developing large air holes, so be thorough) and level top with spatula. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. If the top has tiny, moist bubbles on top it is not yet done. Cool thoroughly upside-down (place over glass bottle if your pan does not have “legs”) before removing from pan.

Remove from pan, wrap and freeze if desired.

Keywords: Dessert, Intermediate, Cake

( RG1530 )

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali