• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Onion Soup

Alinka

Onion Soup

Serves 4.

I made this soup last night, when I had a craving for something warm, rich and comforting in this cold weather. It is not a traditional French recipe, but my version of it using what I had on hand. In the end, I was quite satisfied with its richness, warmth and comfort!

2 tablespoons butter

2 pounds onions, sliced (I had 1 red onion and 1 huge sweet yellow onion)

1 tablespoon flour (I used whole wheat)

1 ounce dry red wine

2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

1 teaspoon dry parsley

1/2 teaspoon thyme

2 cups chicken broth

3 cups beef broth

4 slices cheese (traditionally Swiss is used, but I prefer the stronger taste of sharp cheddar)

Croutons (I used 4 slices of whole grain bread, cut into small pieces and toasted) or toasted bread

I used organic packaged broth, but homemade will also work. The broth should be really good, because its flavor here is very important. The amount can be adjusted depending on the thickness preferred.

Melt butter in Dutch oven, add onions, cover and cook until soft, stirring occasionally (about 20-25 minutes). Open lid and saute uncovered until deep brown. Stir in flour. Add wine, mustard, parsley, thyme, and broth. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Bring to boil, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Divide soup between 4 bowls. Top with croutons or bread slices, then cheese. Broil until cheese begins to brown.

Keywords: Soup, Easy, Lunch, Dinner

( RG1523 )