• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Latkes, Shredded & Ground

Rachel Perlow

Potato Latkes, Shredded & Ground

Serves 4 as Appetizeror 6 as Sideor 20 as Amuse.

I usually just "wing it" when it comes to latkes. But these came out particularly well, so I thought I'd write it down for those who need a guide. Next time I'll probably wing it again! lol

Squeezing the shredded potato/onion is very important, the prepped balls of batter did not weep any liquid.

I had Jason photo-shop this image so you could see the shredded and ground texture in the pre-frying picture.

Batter Ingredients

• 4 Russet Potatoes, medium ~8 oz/potato, unpeeled, cut lengthwise into quarters
  • 1 Yellow Onion, the size of 1 potato, peeled
  • 1/2 c Matzo Meal
  • 1 Egg
  • 1/4 c Onion Confit or otherwise carmelized onions (optional)

For Frying

• 1 c Schmaltz
  • 1 c Corn or Peanut Oil

Serve with

• Applesauce
  • Sour Cream
  • Salt & Pepper (to taste)

Set up your food processor with the large shred blade. Shred the potato & onion. Put shreds in a colander over a large bowl. Press to squeeze out some liquid. Remove shred blade, put in regular chopping blade. Put 1/4 of the shredded potato & onion back into the food processer. Add the matzo meal, egg, and carmelized onions. Pulse a few times to grind, but not puree the mixture.

Oh yeah, some time while shredding the potato & onion, put the schmaltz in a large pan (I use cast iron) over low heat. Usually the schmaltz has some water left in it, it needs to simmer on low for a while to make sure all the water is cooked out so it doesn't spatter. I suggest using a spatter shield anyway.

Squeeze the heck out of the shreds in the colander, press on them to get out a lot of liquid. Allow the liquid to rest a few minutes so that the potato starch precipitates out. Carefully pour out the liquid, leaving the starch behind in the bowl. Put the shreds and ground mixture into the bowl with the starch and mix thoroughly, I use clean hands.

Portion the batter out onto plates, about 1/4 cup per latke, this should make about 20, leave them as balls at this point. Add the oil to the frying pan and bring back to heat on medium high. When you think it's ready, fry one latke as a test. When it is done you should be able to fry 4-5 at a time.

(Set your oven/toaster oven for 300F.) Put the balls of batter into the hot oil and with the back of a spoon, flatten them into patties. After all the ones in the pan have been flattened, set a timer for 2 minutes. They should be ready to flip, after flipping, reset timer for 2 minutes. You want them a light golden brown. Remove from pan and put into oven on a rack over a sheet pan to keep warm/finish cooking inside. Oh, sprinkle them with a little salt as they come out of the oven.

Serve with sour cream and home made apple sauce.

Keywords: Hors d'oeuvre, Appetizer, Side, Intermediate, Potatoes, Snack, Lunch, Dinner, Vegetables, Jewish, Food Processor, Brunch

( RG1519 )