• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worcestershire Sauce

Dave the Cook

Worcestershire Sauce

This is derived from a recipe in Emeril Lagasse's Louisiana Real & Rustic. Finding the original lacking balance, I modified it for more middle heat and slightly less deep sweetness.

Topic here: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=78377

• oil for sauteeing
  • 3 c chopped onion
  • 2 jalapeno chiles, minced
  • 2 poblano chiles, chopped
  • 4 tsp minced garlic
  • 2 cans anchovies in oil, lightly drained and chopped
  • 6 whole cloves
  • 1-1/2 T Diamond Crystal kosher salt
  • 1-1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 large lemon, peeled (zest stripped off and reserved), cut in half crosswise
  • 2 c dark corn syrup
  • 1 c Steen's cane syrup
  • 2 c malt vinegar
  • 2 c cider vinegar
  • 2 c water
  • 2 c grated horseradish (about 1/2 pound fresh; well-drained if bottled)

1. In a large stock pot (at least six quarts), saute the onions and chiles until softened.

2. Add everything else. Slowly bring to a bare simmer and leave it there for about four hours. It's a lot of liquid, so it might take as long as six, but let it cook down until it's very slightly syrupy (Emeril says "barely coats a wooden spoon;" I like it a little thicker than that, but that's me). When you think it's close to done, crush the lemon zest into the mixture.

3. It will thicken as it cools, but strain it while it's still quite warm, or you'll never retrieve all the liquid.

4. Use standard canning procedures. Process for 15 minutes. Let age for at least two weeks.

Keywords: Easy, Condiment, Hot and Spicy, Marinade

( RG1503 )

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.