• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boterkoek, Dutch gingerpastry

Chufi

Boterkoek, Dutch gingerpastry

This is my mom's version of the classic Dutch boterkoek, a rich buttery pastry eaten as a snack with tea or coffee.

I've included a "photo tutorial" of this recipe here on the Dutch Cooking topic I started.

• 150 g butter
  • 150 g sugar
  • 200 g self-raising flour
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 3 knobs of crystallized ginger, chopped
  • 1 T ginger syrup
  • pinch of salt
  • butter and flour for cake tin

Butter and flour a 20-22 cm round shallow cake tin.

Preheat oven to 175 C / 350 F.

Melt the butter. Mix the melted butter, sugar, flour, chopped ginger and ginger syrup and the salt together. Mix in most of the beaten egg (hold back a little to glaze).

Spread the dough in the prepared cake tin and level the surface. Brush with the remaining egg.

The pastry has to bake for about 30 minutes. During that time, about every 8 minutes, you have to knock down the dough as it starts to rise. Do this by gently patting the surface of the dough with the round side of a fork. (If you leave the tin in the oven while doing this, be very careful not to burn yourself).

This 'knocking down' produces a rich and slightly chewy pastry.

After about 30 minutes the pastry should be golden brown. Don't overbake.

from the Dutch Cookingthread

For a lovely variation, add tow heaping tablespoons of Dutch cocoapowder to the dough when mixing. See herefor the result! With special thanks to Nishla who came up with this idea!

Keywords: Easy, Snack, Cake

( RG1443 )