• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Armenian-Lebanese Chili Paste

FoodMan

Armenian-Lebanese Chili Paste

Serves 15 as Hors d'oeuvre.

During the late summer/ early fall months in Beirut, you could see large trays of the fire-y chili paste drying on the roof tops, the roof tops of mostly Armenian residents. The paste is a little sweet, hot, and has the unmistakable bell pepper taste. I love it spread on some pita by itself! I also use it to mix with all kinds of Mediterranean dips especially stuff with eggplant in it. I add a dollop on top of my lamb or chickpea stews. Spread it on pita and wrap around grilled lamb chunks or Kofta. Dip fried kibbe in a yogurt sauce mixed in with the paste. Well, you get my drift...

• 8 fresh red bell peppers
  • 4 Scotch bonnet (or to taste) or other hot peppers
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced or mashed
  • 1/2 c olive oil
  • Salt

- Half the peppers, remove the seeds and cut them up into big chunks.

- Puree the peppers in a food processor until fine. Mix in the garlic.

- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, heat the oil on medium heat, dump in the puree (careful! It will splatter) and cook, stirring frequently until the water evaporates and the mixture is the consistency of a soft tomato paste. When this happens a film of oil will rise to the surface.

- Season with salt to taste and store in clean jars. Top with a little olive oil and keep in the fridge.

Keywords: Hors d'oeuvre, Hot and Spicy, Vegetarian, Dip, Vegan, Condiment, Easy, Sauce

( RG1440 )

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog