• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bill's Stuffed Shrimp

Bill Miller

Bill's Stuffed Shrimp

Serves 0 as Main Dish.

I could not find a stuffed fried shrimp so I created one. Consistancy of the stuffing is the key--I tied some together with lemongrass but it was not needed.

Ingredient List

• 1 stick unsalted butter
  • 1 med onion chopped
  • 1 c each, celery & bell pepper chopped
  • 1/2 c scallions chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves minced
  • 1 tsp Old Bay
  • 8 oz good crabmeat
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 c chicken stock
  • 1 egg
  • 1 c seasoned breadcrumbs
  • salt,, black, white, & cayenne
  • peppers to taste
  • 2 T chopped parsley
  • 16 large shrimp
  • Tempura batter

Sautee the onion, celery,,peppers, garlic, scallions,bay leaf, and Old Bay in the butter in a large pan over med high heat until soft. Reduce heat to med. Add chicken stock and reduce by 1/2. Discard the bay leaf. Stir in the crab until mixed. Whisk in the egg after beating--do this off heat to prevent cooking the egg. Add the breadcrumbs and stir until warmed thru and mixture has thickened. Add salt etc-- stir in parsley.

Pre heat oil in deep fryer to 350.

Peel and de-vein shrimp leaving tails intact.

Split shrimp down back about 2/3 thru. Stuff with crabmeat mixture and coat with batter. Cook in a 350 degree deep fryer about 6 minutes or until brown. Handle gently and the stuffing will stay in. Enjoy this lite tasty twist on stuffed shrimp.

Keywords: Crab, Shrimp, Deep Fryer

( RG1409 )

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.