• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Most Frustrating Foodie Moment

Ladybug

Funny enough I was running a dinner table last night at my son's school selling food to raise money for the debate team.

Various parents cooked and we sold the following:

Curried Chickpeas and Potato

Turkey, Corn & Bean Chili

Sausage and Peppers

Old Fashioned Meatsauce

served over either pasta or basmati rice

Potato Knishes

Box Brownies

Baklava

Amazing Tart Tartin (Homemade from a local restaurant owned by one of the parents)

In this case the number one seller and not a drop was left...

1. The vegetarian curried chickpea and potato

2. Turkey chili

3. Meatsauce with pasta

4. Sausage and Peppers

For the desserts the tart tartin sold out

the baklava was more popular than the brownies

but they looked a bit lame to me

Totally not the results I expected.

We managed to raise a few hundred bucks and some generous people threw money into the box - between food, drink and donations $390

We're raising money to send the debate team to Bella Russe in the spring.

Stop Tofu Abuse...Eat Foie Gras...

www.cuisinetc-catering.blogspot.com

www.cuisinetc.net

www.caterbuzz.com

Nightscotsman, I'll be your guinea pig any time.  :wub:  :wub:

Are you safe in your assumption that Nightscotsman is not from Peru?

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

This cake lasted for about four days (refrigerated)

Once something is in the refrigerator, co-workers are less likely to eat it no matter how delicious. This could be attributed to a) laziness, b) out of sight-out of mind, c) feeling like you're eating "reserved" food, d) aversion to leftovers, or e) all of the above.

This cake lasted for about four days (refrigerated)

Once something is in the refrigerator, co-workers are less likely to eat it no matter how delicious. This could be attributed to a) laziness, b) out of sight-out of mind, c) feeling like you're eating "reserved" food, d) aversion to leftovers, or e) all of the above.

You are absolutely right, as I've learned on previous occasions. That's why with the cake in question I made a point of pulling it out of the fridge every day just after lunch and placing it in a central area with plates, forks and a cutting knife at hand. I even offered to cut slices for people in the vicinity. I would have pre-sliced it, but the way the cake was constructed it would have fallen appart after a few minutes.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words of encouragement and advice. It really doesn't bother me so much anymore when my coworkers decline my desserts, and I don't take it personally. I just enjoy the making and I get to try new things. It is sad to see food go to waste, though.

By the way - day four and 1 slice of spice cake left. Anyone want it? :wink:

Ok, that's it. I have to put an end to this.

Nightscotsman, you must immediately alert me to any job openings at your workplace. I cant stand the thought of your desserts being wasted. For the greater good of pastry!

I dont know how to use a mac very well, but I learn quickly! :laugh:

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

I thought it's Ecuador.  :blink:  Or should I say "E-cuy-dor?"

It's the old adage - location, location, location

You have to be cooking for the right audience.

I was reading the top part of the thread again and I have to agree with the poster who was complaining about the fruit salad in its unadulterated state.

I usually run the pot lucks at school and people show up with a loaf of unsliced bread in a paper bag...

I have an even better one -

One time we had a middle school party at an off site location from the school and a parent dropped off food on Thursday for a party on Monday - except they dropped it at the school and didn't make any arrangements on how it was supposed to get to the party. They walked in with their kid on Monday and wanted to know where their food was (school was already way closed). Turns out there was high school party on Friday and they assumed the food was for them. In anycase, if the high school kids hadn't gotten to it, the mice would have - the state of NYC public schools...They even eat the plants the kids were growing as a science experiment.

And to top it off that parent was demanding that someone pay her back for the food!!

Stop Tofu Abuse...Eat Foie Gras...

www.cuisinetc-catering.blogspot.com

www.cuisinetc.net

www.caterbuzz.com

Nightscotsman, do you have a mostly male or female office? I notice that the speed at which food disappears is directly related to the number of men in the office. They also devour the store bought items before venturing near anything too unfamiliar. Maybe some of your co-workers are just too intimidated by your works of art - which is exactly what that beautiful blueberry cake was! What about a small card describing the ingredients for those who might not want to try something they do not recognize from the supermarket?

At any rate, you are certainly wasting your goods deeds on this group! You need to find a better class of people to work with. :biggrin:

KathyM

At any rate, you are certainly wasting your goods deeds on this group!  You need to find a better class of people to work with.  :biggrin:

Well, I guess I won't be wasting any more good deeds on my coworkers, since they are no longer my coworkers. As of today I have been laid off. Not a huge surprise as business has been very slow for many months. I'm OK financially, and I'll be applying for unemployment so I'll be fine, but I will need a new audience for my baking...

Cooking school, here I come!

:cool:

Well, I guess I won't be wasting any more good deeds on my coworkers, since they are no longer my coworkers. As of today I have been laid off.

Ouch! My condolences; I'm also in a situation where it appears that I might get the sack at any time; I've survived several threats, but in a job where I can be replaced by someone in Asia making $5 per day (well, more-or-less) it's a constant threat. Sigh.

Best of luck to you.

nightscotsman,

Go find a job where your co-workers appreciate your desserts. Cooking school sounds like a great idea. I'm guessing that you're leaning towards pastry chef? Or where you just going to take cooking classes to fill up your days? I could also lose my job depending on what happens when the governor-elect of Illinois takes office in January. There's rumblings in my small agency. Oh well, if it happens, I'm moving back to the westcoast.

nightscotsman, condolences and congratulations.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

nightscotsman, awful news to hear you were laid off :sad: . The economy in the PNW has been so bad... no wonder our restaurants are hurting too. But I'm very glad to hear you are going to persue your Cooking School dream. What fun! Keep us posted. If you are at SSCC I'll be over to visit. I love their pastry shop!

For anyone who didn't see the picture of nightscotsman's delicious desserts at our PNW potluck, here they are. And as beautiful as they are, they tasted even better. mmmmm...

07.jpg

I'm really sorry to hear that Nighscotsman. It's been really tough out here in Seattle, I've been out of work since mid-June. It's really cool for the first month or so, but at the 5 and 6 month mark you start getting a little cabin fever. If you'd like, I can help you cut in line up front at the unemployment office. :cool:

Well, I guess I won't be wasting any more good deeds on my coworkers, since they are no longer my coworkers. As of today I have been laid off.

OH crap !! my heartfelt sympathy! but hey, the cooking school idea is great. Finally you can become famous and I can say "I knew nightscotsman when..."

Born Free, Now Expensive

For anyone who didn't see the picture of nightscotsman's delicious desserts at our PNW potluck, here they are.  And as beautiful as they are, they tasted even better.  mmmmm...

07.jpg

Is there a recipe here somewhere for those bourbon prunes?

Suspect they'd be fabulous at a Christmas party.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Click here.

This is page four of the October potluck. About a quarter of the way down NSM mentions what he's bringing, but it's more about the amazing cake. Actually, as I read it, he just describes the prunes, which were also fantastic. There's pictures on page 6 if y'all are wonderin' what we Pac NW'ers look like.

NSM, did you ever post a recipe for the prunes? They were great!

Suspect they'd be fabulous at a Christmas party.

Bourbon prunes here (scroll down almost to the bottom). It's really just guidlines as I lost the original recipe years ago.

Thanks so much to everyone for the words of support and encouragement. Everyone here has been increadibly helpful. Like I said, this was not completely unexpected and I was actually planning on leaving in a few months anyway. This just gave me a kick in the butt and moved my timetable up a bit. It also gives me time to prepare and make a well considered school choice - and have lunch at Salumi. :biggrin:

Sorry ladybug - I really didn't mean to highjack your thread to talk about my situation. :unsure: