• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wild Rice Salad

chantal

Wild Rice Salad

Original Recipe by Philippe De Vienne. I used about 3/4tsp of each of the peppercorns.

• 1 c wild rice
  • 4 c water
  • 3 T rice vinegar
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • 1 tsp fine tamari or soy sauce
  • 1 tsp pf each of the following: coarsely ground pink peppercorns AND white peppercorns
  • 3 or 4 cardamom seeds, finely ground ( I used a mortar and pestle for all spices)
  • 3 T Maple Syrup
  • 1/3 c mild oil--canola or sunflower

pinch of salt

• 1/4 c finely chopped celery
  • 1/2 c chopped apples-- I picked the Fuji
  • 1/2 finely chopped chives or green onions
  • 3/4 c chopped pecan (I used Brazil nuts)

The hardest part about this recipe is cooking the rice. Put the rice and water in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil, then cover and lower heat to simmer. Start checking the rice after 45 mins. Your looking for rice that is cooked but grains that haven't exploded. Drain it and rinse it in cold water. Leave to drain some more while you make the vinaigrette and prep the rest of ingredients.

Make the dressing in the usual way, adding the oil last and incorporating with a whisk. Add celery, apples, nuts, apples to rice to a bowl. Mix with vinaigrette. Leave at room temperature for an hour or so before eating, but I thought it was very good the next day. The apples didn't darken either.

Keywords: Salad, Rice, Side, Vegetarian, Easy

( RG1355 )