• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Somewhere between Parsippany and Montclair?

fitz

Hey there, all you NJ eGulleteers...

Greetings from Austin, TX, and thanks for the suggestions for potential wedding sites a couple months back! Now that we've settled on where to do the ceremony and reception (Highlawn Pavilion--outside if the weather's on our side, inside if not...), we're moving on to secondary issues: where to have the rehearsal dinner?

My future in-laws (who were nice enough to visit us from Florida last week) have graciously agreed to host the festivities, so while I want something nice (and in keeping with the rest of what we've arranged), I don't want to be overly extravagant.

Because of logistics, I think we'll be best off with a place somewhere between Parsippany and Montclair (An American Grill occurred to me, as did Blue Sky--as long as I've known about Blue Sky, I've always wondered whether Chef David is the same guy who played bassoon in the NJ Symphony Youth Orchestra with me with I was in high school...), though the Morristown area wouldn't be difficult, either. Anyone have any thoughts?

We're thinking this will probably be for 20-25 people, and will have to be on a Saturday night (since it's a Jewish wedding on Sunday and much of the wedding party will be from out of town).

Thanks, folks! Looking forward to getting back to some good old NJ restaurants when we're in town after the holidays for some serious wedding planning...

Fitz (as always, a chick)

:biggrin:

An odd alien wench

Fitz -

have you considered where you're accomodating the majority of guests? If they will be staying in the vicinity of High Lawn Pavilion, Montclair would be a superb suggestion for the rehersal dinner.

Il Tulipano in Cedar Grove would also be a first tier suggestion. About four miles and two right turns from High Lawn

If you're bunking them out along Route 46 in Parsippany or Route 10 in Whippany, or down by the airport, that would definitely influence my suggestion

Paul

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Our rehearsal dinner was at Harold’s New York Deli on Rt 46 in Parsippany. We wanted something fun and casual and as it was pretty much a spontaneous event* they were very accommodating. We all had fun with their monster sized sandwiches and desserts. They seated us in a generic hotel party room along with a few other large parties, but it was adjacent to the restaurant was perfectly acceptable to us.

* We hadn't planned a rehearsal dinner in advance, but there were so many bridesmaids, groomsmen and relatives around the day before we had to go somewhere for dinner. :raz:

Blue Sky in Montclair would be an excellent suggestion. They have a semi-private room upstairs, but I'm not sure if it will accommodate 20-25 people. Rosie?

Have you considered Chinese? Mr. Chu's on Rt 10 West has a semi-private room towards the rear, and we love all of Harry Chu's restaurants. Mr. Chu's is the most Americanized, but may be the most appropriate for the occasion. I would also recommend Hunan Cottage in Fairview (Rt 46 East), although they don't have a private room, the food is amazing - let them know you want the Chinese menu, not the regular one.

For my brother's rehearsal dinner we had an entire small, but gourmet, restaurant (it no longer exists), but it was on a Saturday afternoon, rather than evening, so as not to interfere with their regular dinner service. As this restaurant was BYOB, it kept costs down, as we brought in our own wine (one of my bridesmaid's duties was bringing it to the restaurant the day before the rehearsal dinner). Something to keep in mind when choosing a location.

Think some more about exactly what you want this occasion to be and we'll all be more than happy to give you some more guidance.

PS - I've been to occasions at Highlawn Pavillion, it is lovely. Congratulations.

Edit: added the * above.

Fitz -

have you considered where you're accomodating the majority of guests? If they will be staying in the vicinity of High Lawn Pavilion, Montclair would be a superb suggestion for the rehersal dinner.

Il Tulipano in Cedar Grove would also be a first tier suggestion. About four miles and two right turns from High Lawn

If you're bunking them out along Route 46 in Parsippany or Route 10 in Whippany, or down by the airport, that would definitely influence my suggestion

Paul

Hi Paul,

We're suggesting that people stay in Parsippany (we have yet to decide yet, but there you've got Embassy Suites, the Hilton and the Sheraton all nearby).

So really, I'm looking for places that are in reasonable proximity to Parsippany, where most folks will be holed up.

If that helps at all, I'm looking forward to your input! By the way, another place I thought of was The Quiet Man in Dover.

Thanks, Fitz

An odd alien wench

eccola is a nice place but very, very loud and packed on weekends.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

"Chef David is the same guy who played bassoon in the NJ Symphony Youth Orchestra with me with I was in high school...)"

I would say the answer is YES. Chef David was a professional musician who went to Julliard and then was with symphony orchestras and traveled aroung the world. I am sure he would be happy to hear from you and his restaurant Blue Sky Cafe is excellent and they have a separate party room. Call 973-746-2553.

Another recommendation would be Corso 98 in Montclair. Both are BYO.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Right near Pazzo Pazzo in Morristown is Tim Shaefer's Cuisine. BYO and an excellent cook. They don't have a private room, but maybe they'll do something for you during the afternoon (2-5PM?) before dinner (like I described above about my brother's rehearsal dinner).

I personally liked the idea of doing something "different" than the catered event. I assume you will have traditional continental cuisine for the wedding, which is why I think going with Chinese, Indian, Casual Deli, etc. is a fun idea. Oh, speaking of Indian, I'd recommend Chand Palace or Maharani in Parsippany. One of them is vegetarian, but I can't remember which.

When selecting a place for my rehersal dinner I decided to make the evening casual and fun as opposed to a formal dining experience. I knew we were in for a formal setting and outstanding meal the next night at the wedding so I tried to keep the rehersal dinner laid back. I think it helped prepare our nerves for the all the stress and anxiety that comes with the wedding day.

I went with Dave and Busters right across the border in Rockland County, NY. It is a restaurant and arcade that caters to adults. They offered reasonable dinner packages and everyone received game cards to play games all night. Everyone said it was the best rehersal dinner they attended.

The Man, The Myth

TapItorScrapIt.com

Are you talking about the one at the Palisades Mall? That would be a great rehearsal dinner event, but it is about an hour from Parsippany. A significant consideration on a wedding eve. The only thing at all similar would be Sports 'n' Games Funplex in East Hanover (Rt 10) but really, that's more appropriate for a kid's party than a rehearsal dinner.

Are you talking about the one at the Palisades Mall? That would be a great rehearsal dinner event, but it is about an hour from Parsippany. A significant consideration on a wedding eve. The only thing at all similar would be Sports 'n' Games Funplex in East Hanover (Rt 10) but really, that's more appropriate for a kid's party than a rehearsal dinner.

Yes it is the one in the Palisades Mall. It is quite classy by arcade standards, but yes it is a distance from Parsippany. I wouldn't suggest sinking to the Chuckie Cheese level, but maybe there is another fun activity out there that could pass as a rehersal dinner.

The Man, The Myth

TapItorScrapIt.com

Yes it is the one in the Palisades Mall.  It is quite classy by arcade standards, but yes it is a distance from Parsippany.  I wouldn't suggest sinking to the Chuckie Cheese level, but maybe there is another fun activity out there that could pass as a rehersal dinner.

The Man, The Myth

TapItorScrapIt.com

Perhaps dinner at East Tokyo on Route 10 in Hanover, followed by bowling in the adjacent bowling alley...

Fair warning, I haven't been to either in 10 years.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Boy, you guys are great! Lots of good suggestions all around, and after considering everything, I think we've agreed on Harold's. It's convenient, we know the food and the room, and the price is certainly right... And because so many people will be traveling that day, a casual atmosphere is going to be perfect. Thanks again!!

Fitz

An odd alien wench

It was really fun, drop me a line next time you're going to be in the area and maybe we'll be able to get together and show you some pictures from our rehearsal dinner. BTW - here's the address info:

Harold's New York Deli Restaurant (adjoining the Holiday Inn)

707 US Highway 46, Parsippany, NJ 07054

Phone: (973) 335-3339

A friend of mine (actually my maid of honor) got married at the Crystal Plaza in Livingston and although there were closer places, she had her out of town guests stay at this Holiday Inn. The price was right, and as she was getting married during the summer, the outdoor pool was a plus.

Fitz,

Congratulations! I'm sure that wherever you choose will be fantastic... While a lot of great suggestions have been thrown out, another option could be Don Pepe II in Montville. Might be more on the expensive side for a rehearsal dinner, but my family has always loved the great seafood selection, family style paella, and homemade potato chips that they offer. Nice environment--I'm not sure if they have a private room or not.

Howie

BTW - here's the address info:

Harold's New York Deli Restaurant (adjoining the Holiday Inn)

707 US Highway 46, Parsippany, NJ 07054

Phone: (973) 335-3339

If you're putting directions together, this place is a tad tricky to access from the east (airport, GWB, etc). Harolds's and the Holiday Inn are on the eastbound lanes of US 46. There's an Envoy Inn adjacent to the Holiday Inn, BTW.

Coming from the east on 46 or 80, you pass the Harold's and take the next right hand turn into the shopping mall. You turn right, and pass the Wendy's, which leads to the turn lane across US 46 and directly into their parking lot.

If you want to do it legally (nobody does), you would head west on 46 about two miles to the second light / Smith Road, where the first legal U turn exists.

rancho gordo

Last time I ate at Harolds in Parsippany - the matzo balls were sour and the pastrami was of poor quality. I also recall a disappointing experience the time before that.

Might want to make a trial run for lunch and check it out first.

• 3 weeks later...

Fitz, if you're uncomfortable with your decision dining at Harold's I'd still love to have a opportunity to host your rehersal dinner. My new room is days from being completed and I think we can work something out that will please you and your new family.

Hi Lou,

Thanks for everything--REALLY!!! I WOuld love to have had our rehearsal dinner at An American Grill. Aside from miscellaneous dinners throughout the year, our family had a delightful 2001 Thanksgiving at your place.

Sice it's not really our decision, though, Harold's is the place that's been decided on for the rehearsal dinner. Believe me, my mouth was already watering at your menu... But as it is, I'm not the one calling the shots.

However, I think it's fair to say that you'll definitely see the whole family in January when we come back to NJ to finalize plans with our rabbi, etc., since it seems that whenever we have a family dinner (since I moved away from NJ) we do it at your place!

And I'm sure you'll also see some of us when we turn up in NJ for the wedding...

Thanks for all your help

An odd alien wench