• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bagels

Rachel Perlow

I go to Elmora Bagels all the time. They are the best I have had in NJ (although I can't claim to have done a lot of comparative shopping - it's my local bagel place)

Someone probably knows the real story, but I seem to remember that Elmora and the other "Bagels 4 U" stores are related to the Sonny Amster bakery...

My favorite bagels are from Hot Bagels on Saddle River Road in Fair Lawn. My father used to get bagels from there every Sunday when I was a kid. The store isn't much to look at, but they make a great bagel! Waldwick (where I live now) has a Hot Bagels too, and although it's very good, it can't hold a candle to the Fair Lawn store.

I always try to stop at Bagel Supreme at 252 Mountain Ave. in Springfield (not to be confused with the inferior Bagel Chateau a few doors away) for a Freshly-Made, Hot, Hand-Rolled, Delicious Bagel or Bagel Stick.

Now, I need to find a place even half as good in the Princeton/Hightstown area...

I agree, I have been eating bagels in the Millburn/Springfield/Livingston area for 20 years. Bagel Supreme are the best in my opinion. They are also Kosher for those that swing that direction.

Msk

I'd give my vote to Glen Rock Hot Bagels. To me, a bagel place has to have 3 important qualities (all of which GRHB has)...#1 - good fresh bagels made on-site, #2 - they'll put the schmeer on the bagel for you (discounting for a moment my agreement with Rachel that most places put on too much), and #3 - it's got to be fairly close by and convenient. My sunday morning bagel is generally not something I want to drive a 1/2 hour for, but that's just me.

Bagelicious in Ridgewood also fits in there, too.

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

Anyone have any recommendations in the Colonia/North Edison/Woodbridge area? Colonia Hot Bagels recently closed.

:sad:

Edited by Randi (log)

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

I'd give my vote to Glen Rock Hot Bagels.  To me, a bagel place has to have 3 important qualities (all of which GRHB has)...#1 - good fresh bagels made on-site, #2 - they'll put the schmeer on the bagel for you (discounting for a moment my agreement with Rachel that most places put on too much), and #3 - it's got to be fairly close by and convenient.  My sunday morning bagel is generally not something I want to drive a 1/2 hour for, but that's just me.

Bagelicious in Ridgewood also fits in there, too.

The Glen Rock bagel place has these unique flattened whole wheat bagels (they call them "flagels") that are fabulous. Great texture and sprinkled with sunflower seeds. Cutting in half, however, is daunting; better to put the cream cheese on the top!!

Fairfield Bagels is Rt. 46 Westbound, in the same shopping center as Drug Fair and Puzos Pizza. Once again, these bagels are awesome.

Those are phenomenal bagels. Number two on my list for best bagels West of the Hudson.

Having grown up in Fairfield, for me these are the bagels to which all others are measured by. Another favorite is the Hot Bagels Abroad at 1129 Broad St in Bloomfield.