• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Le Cercle" at Lucas-Carton

Jonathan Day

The Lucas Carton website (www.lucascarton.com) advertises a private club, "Le Cercle". Here is a better translation of the proposition than the site provides; for some reason the English version fails to mention the membership fee:

• "The Circle" is located on the first floor of the restaurant, accessed by a separate door on the passage de la Madeleine. Elegant, private and stylish, the room is dominated by a New York style bar. For even greater intimacy there are two small private dining rooms for special meals with friends.
    The Circle now has more than 2,000 privileged members, who lunch and dine there regularly.
    If you are interested in joining us, you must apply by mail and you must be sponsored by an existing member of The Circle. You will also be asked to complete a questionnaire. If the management accept you, you will be asked to pay an annual fee and will receive a membership card. [The amount of the fee is not stated]

Has anyone visited this place?

Of more gastronomic interest, the site also has quite a few of Senderns' "harmonies" -- pairings of food and wine.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

Sandra, thanks for the reference to the original thread.

What I was curious about was "Le Cercle", the private section. Have members visited it? Does anyone know what the annual fee costs? Is the menu there the same as in the restaurant? Or is this exclusively for Paris residents?

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My wife lunched a couple of years ago at "Le Cercle", and really enjoyed it... she was invited for a work luncheon by a big French cosmetic company..

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

I recently discussed Le Cercle with a former lead chef for that part of Lucas-Carton. Apparently, Le Cercle offers slightly less gastronomic cuisine than the restaurant, but helps the overall economics of the restaurant. There might also be ego-related benefits derived by certain Le Cercle members, one might imagine. :blink: I will continue follow-up at appropriate times.

Edited by cabrales (log)