• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken with Cashews

Ellen Shapiro

Chicken with Cashews

While in China during my Seven Weeks in Tibet, one day on bikes ended at the cooking school. It was an optional activity, and I was tired, but I knew I had to do it for my fellow eGullet Society members.

• 150 g chicken breast (boneless, skinless), thinly sliced
  • 1/2 c roasted cashew nuts (if nuts are raw, as most nuts sold in China are, fry in a little oil first, which is what we did)
  • 2 T peanut oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 carrot, sliced
  • 4 spring onions or garlic tops
  • 2 T water
  • 1 T soy sauce
  • 1/2 T oyster sauce

½ teaspoon salt

Heat wok and add half of the oil. Add chicken and garlic and fry until chicken turns white and feels firm. Add soy sauce and remove from wok. Add remaining oil and cook carrot and salt. Fry one minute. Return chicken to wok. Add water and cook until only a little sauce remains. Add oyster sauce, spring onion and cashew nuts. Heat through to serve.

Keywords: Main Dish, Chicken, Chinese

( RG1199 )

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com