• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mushroom Barley Soup

bloviatrix

Mushroom Barley Soup

Here's the recipe for my favorite mushroom-barley soup. It's very hearty. You can make it using just button mushrooms. I like using a mix of 10 ounces white buttons, 10 ounces creminis, 4 ounces shiitakes, and 4 ounces of whatever else looks interesting from the "mushroom lady."

This soup freezes well. But when re-heating, you will want to add additional water to the pot otherwise it will be too thick.

• 2 tbls olive oil
  • 1 onion, small dice
  • 2 ribs of celery, diced

carrots, diced

• 30 oz assorted mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 1 tbls flour
  • 2 qt water
  • 8 oz mushroom broth (or 2 tablespoons dried porcinis soaked in 8 ounces of boiling water)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 c barley
  • 2 tsp olive oil

If using dried porcinis, soak in boiling water. Strain through filter, reserving soaking liquid and chop porcinis.

In large pot, heat oil. Add onion, celery and carrot and sweat until soft. Add mushrooms and continue sauteeing until mushrooms have given up their liquid. Add flour and stir contantly until the mixture becomes very thick and almost glue-y.

Add water and mushroom broth (or porcini soaking liquid and chopped porcinis).

Bring to boil and reduce to simmer for 20 minutes.

While soup is simmering, in a small pot heat the additional 2 tsp of olive oil. Add the barley and toast until it's fragrant -- 2 or 3 minutes. (This helps prevent the barley from swelling too much in the soup and absorbing too much liquid). Add the barley to the soup and continue to simmer for about 45 minutes or until the barley is tender.

(Because the barley absorbs liquid, I season with salt and pepper at every step -- while the vegetables are sweating, after I add the mushrooms, after the water/broth is added, etc. You might still need to season at the end.)

Eat!

This soup freezes well. But when re-heating, you will want to add additional water to the pot otherwise it will be too thick.

Keywords: Vegan, Soup, Easy

( RG1187 )

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs