• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barbecue Cheesesteak

MarketStEl

Barbecue Cheesesteak

Serves 1 as Main Dish.

I posted this item to the Pennsylvania board back in the fall of 2004. Since there's a recipe in it, I thought it would be suitable for RecipeGullet. Hope you like it if you try it.

Over in the Italian Beef vs. Philly Cheesesteak thread under General Food Topics, I proposed a sandwich that combines the signature foods of my native and adopted hometowns:

the barbecue cheesesteak.

I reported to the group that I would try a variant on my original version of this sandwich today and report back on the results.

Well, the results are in (my stomach), and I pronounce them satisfactory. Here's the recipe--try it yourself and let me know what you think.

• 1 slices thinly sliced sandwich steak (sirloin tip works best), thawed if frozen
  • 1 tsp barbecue spice or rub
  • 3 T barbecue sauce (see note)
  • 1 slices American, Cheddar or Colby cheese
  • Fried onions (optional)
  • 1 long sandwich roll

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Sprinkle barbecue spice on steak slices and rub into meat. Prepare a foil packet by arranging slices in a single layer on a sheet of aluminum foil, then covering them with sauce. Fold ends of foil sheet to enclose slices, then fold edges of foil inward and close packet.

Cook in packet at 450 degrees for 5-10 minutes. Open packet and place cheese slices on top. Return to oven for about 1 minute or until cheese just melts. Place filling into sandwich roll.

Note: I am partial to Gates Barbecue Sauce, widely available in the Kansas City area and by phone (info on web site). But there are plenty of other excellent Kansas City sauces you can try, including Arthur Bryant's (the place made famous by Calvin Trillin and Jimmy Carter, among others; Bryant's smoky, grainy sauce is like no other I've ever tasted) and Zarda Bar-B-Q (a newcomer relative to Bryant's and Gates', but right up there with those two in the sauce pantheon). Recipes for making your own Gates' sauce at home exist.

If you are lazy or short on time, you may use KC Masterpiece, the only Kansas City-style sauce that's widely available everywhere.

Again, let me know what you think of this concoction.

Keywords: Easy, Beef, Cheese, Main Dish, Lunch, Snack

( RG1185 )

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3