• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caramelized Onion Dip for the Arteries by Debra Diller

PastryLady

Caramelized Onion Dip for the Arteries by Debra Diller

This recipe I varied from Ina Garten's recipe. It is not any bit healthier, but I get asked to make it for every party. Vidalia onions make this dip awesome, so if you can find them use it!

• 1 tsp sugar
  • 2 Vidalia Onions
  • 4 T Unsalted Butter
  • 1/4 c Vegetable Oil
  • 1/2 tsp Smoked red cayenne (dried)
  • 1 T kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 8 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 c sour cream
  • 1/2 c mayonaise

Cut up onions into thin slices and cut those into three. Basically you are cutting the onions so they are not tiny, but not so long that you can't dip them. With your skillet on the stove add oil and butter and turn on the stove to medium. Add onions to hot pan and season with pepper, salt, red pepper and sugar. Toss onions in pan and turn down to low. Cook until carmelized about 1/2 hour. Cool onions to about room temp. I use a stand mixer next, but you could do this by hand in a medium bowl. Mix together softened cream cheese until creamy and add sour cream and mayo. Add carmelized onions and blend until combined. Season to taste and transfer to desired serving bowl. Serve with potato chips.

Keywords: Appetizer, Stand Mixer, Intermediate, Snack, Dip

( RG1162 )

Debra Diller

"Sweet dreams are made of this" - Eurithmics