• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weekday Lunch in London

"Almost all the places that have been much-praised on this board for service, cooking etc - Capital, Foliage, even Connaught, Gordon Ramsay etc etc "

so whats the etc.. etc.. ? Im looking for your expertise to recommend the best rather than cheapest place for lunch

Le Gavroche - £40 set lunch including half a bottle of wine strikes me as good value.

I haven't eaten there yet , but we are looking to partake of this lunch for a friend's birthday in December.

Has anyone else tried this and is it worth the trip? :hmmm:

I agree about le Gavroche, excellent value, wonderful classic food, over the top silver service with high waiter to diner ratio.

But for something completely different, I'm a fan of Mju.

I fully realise though it's not for everyone, i.e. the portions are small, the ingredients rich and oddly combined, it's for someone fairly adventurous and willing to eat "weird food". It's kind of hyper-nouvelle cuisine redux, though without the abstemious obsession with healthiness that I think tainted the first go-round of nouvelle cuisine (i.e. there IS oil, butter, foie gras, caviar, etc - at least there was when I was there. They'll fax you a menu if you ask. And their wine list is a knockout in terms of variety, price and appropriateness for the food.

I also hear good things about Bonds - I haven't eaten there myself but I loved the chef when he was at New End, and some friends say it's wonderful.

Not to put too fine a point on good value again, but I loved the food at Rascasse (I had dinner there twice) and I imagine lunch is probably dinner food at knockdown prices...

Why not La Tante Claire? Reservations are easy to come by apperently and it will be history on 21 December so get in whilst it's still open. Otherwise Bibendum is a very safe bet, beautiful room, great wine list, terrific service and by no means least wonderful gutsy food. Offal 'n' onion rings, what could possibly be better?