• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baked Short Ribs Mount Vernon

ruthcooks

Baked Short Ribs Mount Vernon

Serves 4 as Main Dish.

I have no idea how this recipe came to me, back in the 60’s, nor if the story is true. It seems that George Washington employed a cook who was Pennsylvania Dutch. She was known far and wide for her creations, one of which is this recipe. Is it barbeque sauce? Sweet and sour? More delicate than either, it’s simply delicious. Serve with mashed potatoes, egg noodles or spaetzle.

• 4 lb beef short ribs
  • Salt and pepper
  • Seasoned flour
  • 2 T each butter and oil, or as needed
  • 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 2 T brown sugar
  • 1 T vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp dry mustard
  • 1/2 c catsup
  • 1/2 c beer or cider (or wine, I suppose)
  • 1 c beef broth or stock

Season the short ribs with salt and pepper and roll in flour. In a heavy skillet over medium high heat, brown ribs on all sides and remove to a large casserole.

Leave 2 T. fat in skillet and add chopped onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add remaining ingredients: brown sugar, vinegar, dry mustard, catsup, beer and broth. Stir to combine and pour over ribs.

Bake at 350 degrees for 2 1/2 hours, adding water as necessary to keep moist. Remove fat and serve.

Keywords: Main Dish, Easy, Beef, American

( RG1077 )

• Like 1

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali