• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gravlax with a Mustard Sauce

Gifted Gourmet

Gravlax with a Mustard Sauce

Serves 10 as Appetizeror 18 as Hors d'oeuvre.

The gravlax preparation

for the salmon itself, I go to Costco and buy the huge slabs of raw salmon (which have no bones and no skin):

one 2-3 lb. piece of fresh salmon filet (use the thickest part for this) divide into two equal pieces

The Cure:

1/2 cup of sugar

1/2 cup of coarse, kosher salt

1 large bunch of fresh dill (stems included)

2 Tbsp freshly coarse ground black peppercorns

4 Tbsp vodka

Mix dry ingredients together and rub into the salmon (which is cut into two large slabs and , at the end of prep, put the two pieces "face to face")... douse with the vodka and put the fresh dill on top ... replace the second slab of salmon on top of the first after rubbing in the curing mixture ... then I cover tightly with saran wrap, a bit of foil, and wrap a brick in aluminum foil to weight it all down ...

Cover tightly and place in back part of your refrigerator and let cure for 3-4 days... I turn and baste it with the accumulated juices once each day. .... after the curing, wash off the gravlax with cool water, dry with paper towelling, slice thinly (use a very sharp knife so as not to crush the delicate fish)

serve with the honey mustard dill sauce(on the side in a little bowl):

1 Tbsp sweet, regular yellow mustard (i.e. French's)

1 tsp dijon style mustard

2 Tsp sugar (or honey works well, too)

1 1/2 Tbsp white wine vinegar

3/4 cup salad oil

chopped fresh dill

salt & pepper

Mix all ingredients except for the oil and dill .... then whisk in oil in a steady stream ( making an emulsion... like mayonnaise ) ... when thickened, mix in the chopped fresh dill ....refrigerate and let flavors meld (can be done after the 3 days of curing)...

To serve: I slice the salmon very thinly and place on a large decorative platter (black lacquer is a nice color to set off the salmon) .... serve garnished with lemon wedges, chopped red onion, capers, grape tomatoes, creme fraiche (or sliced beefsteak tomatoes), more fresh dill sprigs for color ... This makes a presentation which is lovely to look at and considerably fresher than smoked salmon (which is very expensive and too salty for my tastes!)

Hope you and your guests will enjoy it! Very simple ... 15 minutes prep and then let it sit for the 3-4 days .. slice and serve ... how simple is that for such a delectable and beautiful presentation?

Hardly original, my first efforts were inspired by the preparation of Chef Marcus Samuelsson of Aquavit in NYC ....

Keywords: Appetizer, Kosher, Easy, Fish, Hors d'oeuvre, Seafood

( RG1035 )

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"