• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

brigadeiro

tharrison

brigadeiro

Serves 20 as Dessert.

Brazilian candy named after Brazilian Air Force Brigadier General Eduardo Gomes.

If they don't "set" you didn't cook them long enough. Recipe is like fudge that you don't stir. Finished candies should be the consistancy of chocolate caramels.

• 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
  • 3 T unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 T unsalted butter, softened plus more for rolling
  • pinch salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
  • 4 oz chocolate "jimmies" sprinkles

1. In a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat mix together the condensed milk, cocoa powder, and salt until combined. Next, stir in the butter and extract.

2. Cook the mixture until you can see the pan bottom when stirring (run the spoon across the pan's bottom, when the candy doesn't try to fill in the scrape mark, it's done). About 10-12 minutes. I'm assuming this is about soft ball stage (I didn't use a thermometer and none of the recipes mentioned this).

3. Pour into a lightly greased dish and cool. Don't stir!

4. Using a lightly greased small cookie scoop, scoop out balls of cooled candies. Lightly grease hands with butter and roll into balls. Roll in the jimmies. Place on a dish.

Keywords: Dessert, Easy, Candy, Spanish/Portugese

( RG1001 )

"I like butter and the people who like butter." -TA