• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sourdough Potato Skillet Bread

lovebenton0

Sourdough Potato Skillet Bread

This recipe is from the Cooking with/for Disabilities course in the eCGI.

An easy to make skillet bread, that is a delicious change served with lunch or dinner. It is especially well suited to serve with grilled meats, and hearty soups or beans. This is not a strict sourdough bread, as there is the addition of yeast, due to the softness of the dough. But, you can enjoy it anyway. The recipe is very simple in its basic form and it disappears quickly. You can change the character for variety, by adding 1/2-3/4 cup of your choice grated cheese to the dough; either when you knead in the cornmeal at the end, or as a topping for your loaf.

• 3/4 c sourdough starter, set out in the morning
  • 1/2 c warm water
  • 1/2 c bread flour
  • 1 T yeast
  • 2 T sugar
  • 1 large potato, boiled, and peeled, grated
  • 1/2 c potato water, warm
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1-1/2 tsp lemon pepper
  • 1/4 c light margarine or butter
  • 2 c bread flour
  • 1/2 c cornmeal

**1/4 cup light margarine or butter for coating dough

Combine first five ingredients for sponge; allow to set for 3-4 hrs in open bowl away from drafts.

Boil, then cool and peel the potato. Grate potato; should be about 1 1/2 cups grated. Stir down the sponge; stir in grated potato and warm potato water with the garlic, salt, and lemon pepper.

Stir through the 1/4 cup butter or margarine.

Add flour 1/2 cup at a time. Mix in with wooden spoon then knead by hand until a very soft dough.

Knead in the cornmeal.

Coat with softened light margarine or butter; cover and allow to rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Turn out into a well buttered 8 or 9 inch skillet. Coat again; cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise again for 35-45 minutes.

Bake in 425 oven for 25-30 minutes until nicely browned on top and done.

*You can find salt free lemon pepper if that is an issue, or reduce salt in the dough accordingly.

**Butter flavored cooking spray is a good substitute for coating dough, and for buttering your skillet, that yields less fat, calories, and sodium.

This is very good with french bread or crackers as a party dip, and makes delicious sandwiches when served on toasted bread with tomato and lettuce.

Keywords: Side, Potatoes, Healthy Choices, eGCI, Bread

( RG996 )

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite