• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apricot Nutty Rice

lovebenton0

Apricot Nutty Rice

This recipe is from the Cooking with/for Disabilities course in the eCGI.

You can enjoy this as a baked rice side dish anytime, or, as we often do, baked in acorn squash halves. It is a family favorite at Thanksgiving

• 1 small box wild rice (1/2 cup)
  • 1/2 c brown rice
  • 3-1/2 c water
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 T butter
  • Orange/Peach/Mango juice
  • 3 T brown sugar
  • 6 dried apricots, diced
  • 3 T light margarine OR butter
  • 1/3 c pecan pieces
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 large egg

Bring to boil wild/brown rice together in water w/salt and butter, reduce heat to low and cover, cook for 50-55 minutes. Use kitchen shears or pizza cutter to dice apricots. Drain water from rice into measuring cup. Add enough orange/peach/mango juice or orange blend of your choice to make 2/3 cups. Add apricots and pecan pieces to rice.

Mix brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, butter, and egg with juice. Pour over rice mixture. Stir lightly, scoop into 6 acorn squash halves or into a 1 1/2 qt casserole. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

200 mg sodium

2 g fat (5 g fat with real butter)

Keywords: Side, Rice, eGCI, Healthy Choices

( RG995 )

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite