• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pudding Pop Experiment

Schielke

Wait a minute - hold everything! You used plastic spoons!?!?:blink: For shame. Everyone knows that the wooden stick/spoon adds a whole other flavor dimension and is essential to a true artisanal pudding pop. Can you imagine the uproar if Good Humor or Haggen Daas were to switch to plastic sticks in their frozen novelties? Back to the kitchen with you, mister.

Dirty!  The above picture post was not intended to be dirty, but a way of incorporating the kitties into the thread in a kosher manner.

:blink:

Ben

FINE! Dirty doesn't adequately denote my feelings. I feel used, is that better?

Mmmmm, kosher kitties.

Dirty!  The above picture post was not intended to be dirty, but a way of incorporating the kitties into the thread in a kosher manner.

So... you consulted a Rabbi? I don't see any yarmulkes on those kitties. :hmmm:

I think that this should take care of things.

fd1028c1.jpg

Ben

p.s. more pudding results to follow later on.

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

fd0fee6d.jpg.orig.jpg

Earlier today, I tried one of the Instant Pudding Pops. The layering effect was much more pronounced and seperate in these pops as you can see from the picture. I may try to do more with this effect in the future.

The pops had very few air holes and were very solid. I do think that the size/shape issue is a detrement and I will need to rectify this before moving on with the experiment. I think I will also try wooden sticks as handles too. The spoons work fairly well, but the plastic bends too much at times.

The taste of these pops was much better than the Premade ones, they seemed more authentic. The texture was better as well, but the ice crystals are still too big and I will have to either drop some chedda' on an ice cream machine or stir by hand during the freezing process.

I will be out of town for most of this next week, but upon my return I shall continue with renewed vigor! Next on the list is Stovetop pudding and homeade pudding! Awww yeah!

Also, smoked pudding should be in my future if Klink is down for it; Klink?

Have a good week people!

Ben

-Freakmaster

-Mario

Here's some suggestions for your molds:

popsicle1.jpg This one is kind of expensive at $24.95, but the resultant pop may be worth it.

Here's a link to another BB where they discussed popsicles. The consensus there seemed to be Tupperware. All I can find on their site is this set of Mickey Mouse inspired molds for $15.49.

10041086000_detail.jpg

However, the best source for cheap & functional molds (under $10 including shipping) seems to be eBay. Do a search for Popsicle with and without the words Tupperware, mold or tray. Popsicle Makers, brought up the blue molds by another company, while Ice Tups, brings up only Tupperware items. Include -Mickey to avoid the mouse ears and extra cost. This auction in particular seems to be a good deal, 2 Ice Tups sets (12 pops) with one shipping charge.

i-1.JPG

edit: the blue popsicle maker auction is over and the pic dissapeared.

My kids and I spend a lot of the summer sitting under the pergola in our backyard admiring the beautiful wisteria and eating popsicles, and we all agreed that the tupperware ones in Rachel's post (the ice tups set; I pilfered 5 sets from my grandmother's house when she died) had the best shape and "mouthfeel." After all, who can argue with kids (6, 8, 11, and 44 years of age). We also really liked making them with Jello instant pudding (because it's faster and summer is short) and favored a chocolate fudge/pistachio ripple). Diana is wondering what cream or 1/2 and 1/2 would do to jello instant pudding???

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Ok, so to avoid thread drift I am moving all non-pudding related kitty pics to my Bio.

I plan on making my next batch of pudding pops as soon as I get ahold of some popcicle molds. Frankly I am still eating the first batches! :raz:

Ben

-Freakmaster

-Mario

Has anyone contacted Kraft to see about availability?

Good point.

I have not personally contacted kraft to inquire about any of this but I have seen the result of other requests. Kraft basically says that the market is not there for pudding pops, which is why they pulled them in the first place.

I wonder if they would hook a brutha up with the pop recipe though....probably for a fee.

Anybody here got the kraft hookup?

Ben

-Freakmaster

-Mario

Kraft has Pudding Pop recipes right on the Jello brand website. To do a full search (I can't seem to link the results of my search properly), go to www.jello.com, click Recipes/Recipe Search, check Cookies/Candies/Other Desserts, then check Frozen Pops followed by Get Recipes. This yields 12 recipes. However, all of them seem to be variations on the "make the pudding, put into molds, insert stick, freeze" theme.

21306w.jpg

Even the ones with Creamy in the title, are just that way because you add Cool Whip, not because of agitation during freezing. Since you have tested this technique, and realize that freezing them by this method has a tendancy to produce ice crystals and not the creamy texture you desire, I think it is still up to you to work out the Pudding Pop of your dreams.

Perhaps once you do, you could get them to add your "Perfect Pudding Pops" to their online recipe files?

Kraft has Pudding Pop recipes right on the Jello brand website. To do a full search (I can't seem to link the results of my search properly), go to www.jello.com, click Recipes/Recipe Search, check Cookies/Candies/Other Desserts, then check Frozen Pops followed by Get Recipes. This yields 12 recipes. However, all of them seem to be variations on the "make the pudding, put into molds, insert stick, freeze" theme.

<p align=center>21306w.jpg</p>Even the ones with Creamy in the title, are just that way because you add Cool Whip, not because of agitation during freezing. Since you have tested this technique, and realize that freezing them by this method has a tendancy to produce ice crystals and not the creamy texture you desire, I think it is still up to you to work out the Pudding Pop of your dreams.

Perhaps once you do, you could get them to add your "Perfect Pudding Pops" to their online recipe files?

Yeah, thanks for the lookup Rachel. This recipe is the one that I based my first pop round off of. It gave me the idea for using the easily available plastic spoons for pop holders.

I have to say that their recipe is pretty weak. "Ya want puddin' pops? Take our damn puddin, and *#^&*!$ freeze it!" Totally weak. I hope that once I settle on a final recipe that they would take it!

Thanks again!

Ben

-Freakmaster

-Mario

• 1 year later...

I've seen them on the shelf but have not verified if they are the real thing. Will report back soon. BTW, I HATE wooden stick taste. It ruins popsicles.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

I couldn't believe my eyes, but yes, there they were in the freezer case at Vons in San Diego. They are marketed under the Popsicle brand, it clearly says on the box "JELLO Pudding Pops" and also says "made with JELLO pudding". I quickly ate two just to verify authenticity -- we've all been waiting a long time for these to come back-- and they tasted just wonderful. There was that really thin layer of ice over the frozen pudding goodness and although the pops were smaller than I remembered and definitely a different shape, they tasted just the same. The box I had was a variety pack which contained 12 pops and contained the chocolate, vanilla and chocolate/vanilla swirl flavors. I am so happy -- I couldn't understand why they stopped making these in the first place. Hopefully they will be marketed all across the country soon enough -- just in time for summer!

Don't know if you're only interested in Jello-brand pudding pops, but Blue Bunny also makes pudding pops:

Blue Bunny pudding pops

I think they're really good, but I can't remember the Jello pudding pops well enough to compare. They used to sell them in my school cafeteria, but besides that, it seems that they're hard to find...