• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmer's Apple Cake

Cusina

Farmer's Apple Cake

Serves 8 as Dessert.

I found this recipe among my grandmother's things. I think it originated in a Hastings, Nebraska YMCA neighborhood cookbook. She and I have tweaked it enough to feel like it is our own. It is a very filling dessert that would make a wonderful coffee cake, if you were inclined to have it for breakfast.

• 4 apples, large, granny smith and golden delicious mixed
  • 1/4 c sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon, good quality
  • 1/2 c unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 c golden brown sugar, packed
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs, large
  • 2-1/4 c flour
  • 1/2 c milk

Peel and slice apples; spread evenly in the bottom of a buttered 10" round cake pan or equivalent. Sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon over the top of the apples.

In a medium mixer bowl add the remaining ingredients. Beat well, pour batter over apples and smooth. Bake in a 350 oven for 45 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla bean ice cream or real whipped cream.

Keywords: Cake, Dessert, Easy, Fruit

( RG830 )

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad