• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian Gratin

Italian Gratin

Serves 6 as Main Dish.

This is a lazyman's lasagna with more taste but less formality and eggplant. Quick and simple to make a large amount of decent food. This is a Moosewood receipe, I've really only altered some of the ingredient amounts compared to their original.

• 1 handful fresh basil
  • 3 onions
  • 3 c Tomatoes, or a 28 oz can
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 3 c spinach leaves
  • 4 c mushrooms
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 c bread crumbs
  • 1 c dried pasta, some type of small shell
  • 2 c freshly grated parmesan cheese

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. I used a 13" by 9" glass lasagna type dish that my mom left at my place to make this dish. Oil the dish.

Mix together the onions, basil, salt, and tomatoes.

Heat the oil in a small frypan over medium heat. I might try some butter next time instead of the oil. Throw in the garlic and the bread crumbs and cook for about 3 minutes, until the bread crumbs are lightly browned. Remove from the hot pan and set aside.

Spread out half of your tomato mixture in the bottom of the oiled dish. Sprinkle the pasta for the next layer. Then a layer of spinach, then mushrooms, and then half of your cheese. Top it off with the rest of the tomato mixture then the browned bread crumbs.

Cover with foil and and bake for about 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes. Serve it up with a green salad following behind.

Keywords: Main Dish, Dinner, Vegetarian, Italian

( RG770 )