• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hearty Bay Scallop Chowder

lovebenton0

Hearty Bay Scallop Chowder

Dice onions; cook 1 onion in butter in covered 4 quart heavy saucepan over low heat until very soft, stir occasionally; 10 minutes. Reserve the other onion to cook with diced pork chop.

Wash and dice potato into 1/3 inch. Reserve all but 1/2 cup in cold water for parboiling with carrots and corn.

Add beer, thyme sprig, and white pepper to onions and boil down about a minute or so; most of liquid will be evaporated. Add 1/2 cup diced potato, 1/2 cup scallops, vegetable and chicken broths, then simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes; potato should be tender.

Cook the reserved potato with carrot, and corn in salted boiling water, until tender, about 5 minutes.

While that is parboiling, discard thyme sprig, then carefully purée soup base in a blender or food processor until very smooth. Do in 2 batches. Transfer puree to a bowl. It will be very hot.

Wash saucepan, cook diced pork chop with 2nd onion, until pork is cooked through and onion is tender.

Return puree to pan, then drain and add vegetable mixture, the remaining scallops, milk, half and half, and salt. Cook chowder over medium heat, until scallops are just cooked through, for about 2-3 minutes, stirring, so that it does not reach a boil.

Serve sprinkled with 2 t bacon crumbles, and 1 T grated sharp cheddar. I like to serve with small thin sourdough toasts on the side, but you can serve with Oyster crackers or other similar crackers. A green salad completes your meal.

Each two cup serving of chowder (not including crackers, or whole fat cheddar) contains about 290 calories and 7 grams fat.

( RG752 )

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite