• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Cooking For Dummies

Suvir Saran

I tried processing the marinade ingredients in a blender but because there was not enough liquid (I cut the recipe in half) this was most unsuccessful - I made another marinade using a mini-processor and this worked much better.

By the way - the resulting dish, even with my errors, was DELICIOUS.

If you have ginger paste or garlic paste, you can simply do it by hand. Some Indian home cooks and most all Indian restaurant cooks keep ginger and garlic pastes handy.

Now to the Butter Chicken and my questions:

The recipe calls for making a puree of onions, garlic and ginger and then browning this in oil for about 20 mins or until golden brown.  This created real problems.  The puree tended to stick to the pan and brown much too quickly.  As noted in the recipe I kept water near by and put a little in the pan but in the end, after 20 minutes I can't say that anything except the stuff that stuck, had much colour.  Was I using too big of a pan - mine was a 12 inch heavy stainless steel saute pan.

That process where the onions and stuff stick to t he base of the pan as they are fried is called Bhunao (browning). What heat were you doing this with? I prefer medium high to high.

And you were smart to use the water.

How brown did the onions get? A sandy brown? That is fine.

Yes, your pan sounds like a very wide one.

But it seems like you did a fine job anyways.

The tomatoes I was able to obtain were quite disgusting in terms of taste so I added a tablespoon or so of tomato paste, a cup or so of crushed, canned tomatoes and a mere hint of sugar just to perk up the flavour a little.  (I had the canned tomatoes leftover from a pizza sauce and the tomato paste was on hand because I was about to make another concoction!)  I'm betting that made in season with ripe, juicy tomatoes would send this dish right over the top in terms of flavour.

I would not add the sugar. The paste and the canned tomatoes are sweet enough.

I am like you. In the summer when I find very ripe tomatoes I enjoy using them. But like you, come winter, and I am happy using good canned tomatoes. You did well with your decision. :smile:

Well I tried Suvir's recipe for Tandoori Cornish Game Hens again but decided instead to use skinless, boneless chicken breast and grill on kebabs as an appetizer. (Indoor cast iron grill). WOW! and that was my guest's response. The Dane also ate far too many for something that was supposed to be an appetizer.

Probably from the overconfidence of the utterly naive, I found this second attempt at the recipe to be a "walk in the park" First, of course, I already had all the ingredients at my finger tips and I quickly abandoned precise measurements believing that a scientific approach was simply out of keeping with the whole spirit of the process. Now that I had some familiarity with the both the process and the ingredients, I felt sure I couldn't muck it up too much. And I didn't. It was flavourful, moist and delicious.

What next, Suvir? Any suggestions for something that is not too, too spicy, not too, too vegetarian, and not too, too likely to send The Dane off on one of his "I hate Indian food" rants. :rolleyes:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Well I tried Suvir's recipe for Tandoori Cornish Game Hens again  but decided instead to use skinless, boneless chicken breast and grill on kebabs as an appetizer.  (Indoor cast iron grill).  WOW! and that was my guest's response.  The Dane also ate far too many for something that was supposed to be an appetizer.

Probably from the overconfidence of the utterly naive, I found this second attempt at the recipe to be a "walk in the park"  First, of course, I already had all the ingredients at my finger tips and I quickly abandoned precise measurements believing that a scientific approach was simply out of keeping with the whole spirit of the process.  Now that I had some familiarity with the both the process and the ingredients, I felt sure I couldn't muck it up too much.  And I didn't.  It was flavourful, moist and delicious.

What next, Suvir?  Any suggestions for something that is not too, too spicy, not too, too vegetarian, and not too, too likely to send The Dane off on one of his "I hate Indian food" rants.  :rolleyes:

I shall send you some recipes via email.

Hope the Dane enjoys them as much as he did the chicken.

• 5 months later...

Indians make many different pickles through the many seasons.

Most recipes change depending on the regions and also from home to home.

Recipes for pickling are some of the few recipes that actually are handed down generationally and require measurement. Certainly some exceptions to this rule do occur, but for the most part, pickling has been better chronicled than other aspects of Indian cookery.

Here are links to past threads related to pickling in the Indian kitchens.

1) Bottles of Savor

India is in love with its highly spiced pickles, and making them at home has had a renaissance

By SUVIR SARAN and STEPHANIE LYNESS, SPECIAL TO THE LA TIMES

2) Pickles/Preserves

3) Andhra Pickles

Andhra Pradesh is a state in Southern India. Andhra Pradesh is famous for its pickles. Many of which are very spicy.

4) Pickle - What's your favorite, and how do you eat it?

5) Pickles and Kanji

"Since it was winter in Delhi it was time to put large ceramic jars out in the sun to make various style pickles. It is also the season for making of kaanji - A beetroot, and spices laden concoction."

PS: Click HERE to read the thread in the cooking forum about Pickles. The above is copied from a post I made there.

Well I tried Suvir's recipe for Tandoori Cornish Game Hens again  but decided instead to use skinless, boneless chicken breast and grill on kebabs as an appetizer.  (Indoor cast iron grill).  WOW! and that was my guest's response.  The Dane also ate far too many for something that was supposed to be an appetizer.

Probably from the overconfidence of the utterly naive, I found this second attempt at the recipe to be a "walk in the park"  First, of course, I already had all the ingredients at my finger tips and I quickly abandoned precise measurements believing that a scientific approach was simply out of keeping with the whole spirit of the process.  Now that I had some familiarity with the both the process and the ingredients, I felt sure I couldn't muck it up too much.  And I didn't.  It was flavourful, moist and delicious.

What next, Suvir?  Any suggestions for something that is not too, too spicy, not too, too vegetarian, and not too, too likely to send The Dane off on one of his "I hate Indian food" rants.  :rolleyes:

Is this recipe posted somewhere?

I have some cornish hens in the freezer and was debating what to do with them.......

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

TANDOORI ROAST CORNISH GAME HENS

Serves 4

For the best flavor, the hens should be marinated overnight, but in a pinch, marinate 4 hours. Line the roasting pan with aluminum foil for easy clean-up.

2 Cornish game hens

1 tablespoon paprika

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon turmeric

Juice of 1 lemon

MARINADE

1 small onion

4 garlic cloves

2 inches peeled, fresh ginger

1 teaspoon ground, toasted cumin

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/4 teaspoon paprika

Pinch ground cloves

Pinch ground cinnamon

Pinch garam masala

1/3 cup yogurt

3 tablespoons tomato paste

1 teaspoon canola oil

2 tablespoons canola oil

Lemon wedges, for serving

1. Pull and cut the skin off the hens. Make several deep slashes in the breasts and thighs.

2. Mix the paprika, salt, turmeric and lemon juice together in a bowl. Rub the mixture over the hens and then massage the birds with the spices for about 1 minute to ensure that the spices are rubbed in nicely. Set aside, covered for half an hour.

3. Meanwhile, put all the marinade ingredients in a blender and process on low speed until smooth.

4. Toss the hens in the marinade until coated. Place in a zip loc bag and marinade in the refrigerator overnight or for up to 2 days.

5. Bring the hens to room temperature by placing outside the refrigerator for an hour before ready to cook.

6. Preheat the oven to 500?F. Add the 2 tablespoons oil to the bowl with the hens and stir with a rubber spatula to coat. Remove hens from marinade with whatever marinade sticks to them. Put them on a rack in a roasting pan and roast 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand 5 minutes. Cut in half and serve with lemon wedges.

Chicken Curries (has many different recipes including the one I share above).

Cornish Hens Braised in a tangy plum and apricot sauce

( Inspired by Julie Sahni's recipe for Apricot Chicken )

* 4 cornish hens

* 2 cups dried apricots and plums

* 8 tbsp ghee

* 2 cups finely chopped red onions

* 2 tbsp fresh ginger root, finely chopped

* 2 tsp garam masala

* 2 cups finely chopped or pureed ripe tomatoes or 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce

* 3 tsp kosher salt

Serves: 8

Cut the wing tips and neatly halve the cornish hens. Get the skin off, using a towel to get a better grip, and set hens aside.

Put apricots and plums in a bowl and add enough boiling water to cover them by an inch. Soak for 2-3 hours, and drain. Coarsely chop them in a food processor or electric blender. Set aside. Preheat oven to 375?F.

Heat 2 tablespoons of the ghee in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add hens, 3 or 4 halves at a time, and sear them until nicely browned on all sides(about 5 - 10 minutes per batch). Take them out with a slotted spoon, and place them meat side up on a baking pan that can accommodate the eight pieces in a single layer. Continue with the rest of the hens and add more ghee if necessary.

Add the rest of the ghee to the pan and fry the onions till they are light brown (about 15 minutes), stirring constantly to prevent burning. Add ginger and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add the garam masala and stir for 5 seconds. Add the tomatoes, salt. Add the fruits along with 1 1/2 cups of water, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer at a gentle bubble, uncovered, until the sauce has reduced to a thick puree (about 20 minutes).

Pour the sauce over the hens. Pour half cup boiling water down the sides of the baking pan, and cover tightly with foil.

Bake in the middle level of the oven for 25 minutes. Reduce temperature to 325?F, and continue baking for an additional 25 minutes. Turn off the oven, leaving dish inside until you are ready to serve. The hens will remain warm for about 45 minutes.

I have some cornish hens in the freezer and was debating what to do with them.......

Kristin,

You can use Cornish game hens in most all recipes for Indian chicken dishes. In fact in the US, I find the cornish game hens are more appealing to my friends visiting from India. They find them closer to the bird they are used to enjoying in India.

Do follow the threads we have on chicken, you will find many a good recipe. If you need any recipe in particular, do let myself and the others know, I am sure you will find many helpful answers and tips.

• 7 months later...

I do not know if this is the appropriate place, my apologies if not, but I have been searching for the recipe for a wonderful dish I had in an Indian restaurant a few months ago. It was an incredibly busy buffet-style restaurant and the harried staff barely spoke English.

It was simply diced potatoes & garbanzo beans mixed together and spooned into a very, very light & delicate little pastry. That is then topped with some kind of tamarind sauce.

It is totally wonderful and I cannot find the name of it or a recipe for it anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated :smile:

It was simply diced potatoes & garbanzo beans mixed together and spooned into a very, very light & delicate little pastry. That is then topped with some kind of tamarind sauce.

It is totally wonderful and I cannot find the name of it or a recipe for it anywhere.

I could be wrong, but this sounds to me very much like "paapri-chaat". Paapri chaat is a form of "chaat", which is the generic Hindi term for snacks, or street food.

In this case, this is a chaat made with "paapri" which is what you are referring to as "pastry shell". It is possible the dish you had was some other kind of chaat. Perhaps it was a "panipuri" (in which case the "pastry shell" would be more round in shape and the sauce would have been more watery).

You should be able to find recipes for paapri chaat on the web. Try searching also with spelling variations like "papri chat" etc.

Do you remember if the tamarind based sauce also had yogurt in it?

I could be wrong, but this sounds to me very much like "paapri-chaat". Paapri chaat is a form of "chaat", which is the generic Hindi term for snacks, or street food.

In this case, this is a chaat made with "paapri" which is what you are referring to as "pastry shell". It is possible the dish you had was some other kind of chaat. Perhaps it was a "panipuri" (in which case the "pastry shell" would be more round in shape and the sauce would have been more watery).

You should be able to find recipes for paapri chaat on the web. Try searching also with spelling variations like "papri chat" etc.

Do you remember if the tamarind based sauce also had yogurt in it?

Much thanks for responding :smile:

The tamarind sauce is NOT yogurt based. It is more juicy than saucy, too.

I watched another customer pick up the little pastry ball (about the size of a golf ball), tap the top off of it, fill it with the garbanzo/potato filling and then spoon the tamarind stuff over that.

Wicked good. :biggrin:

Edit: Googled pani puri and found my dish :laugh: The recipe calls for mashed potatoes, whereas mine were boiled and diced, but I can work with this...

Many, many thanks...

Edited by shelly59 (log)

• 2 months later...

Puri for pani puri will look like little puffed baseballs empty inside. You break the top, fill it with stuffing and pour in some tamarind water.

Chaat papdi is quite different. My favourite recipe for it is at http://www.bawarchi.com/cookbook/chats5.html

Generally, Bawarchi is one of the better website for Indian cooking.

If there was yoghurt in what you had - it was very likely chaat papdi. If tamarind souce was very watery - it was likely pani puri.