• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Cooking For Dummies

Suvir Saran

Overview on Indian Cooking

"Like any art form, the foundation of Indian cooking is based on technique. There is a body of knowledge about the food itself - the vegetables, the spices, the herbs, the sauces - but this information is meaningless unless applied with sensitivity. I use the words sensitivity and knowledge in all of their nuances: knowing when a vegetable like the bitter melon, karela, is perfectly in season; understanding how to remove the bitterness; and, finally being aware of its healing properties. There's a perfect moment to eat karela, just as there's an appropriate time for an Indian raga to be played. There are monsoon ragas, morning ragas, and ragas that are played when the lover has gone. Music and food are always respected for their ability to cleanse the soul, and heal."

Suvir -- thanks for putting these threads all together and tying them with a bow. :smile: I'm looking forward to the eGullet Indian dinner -- it will actually be my first Indian meal! And then hopefully I'll retain the memory of some tastes and ideas to use as a basis so when I start (slowly, tentatively!) to cook even the most basic Indian recipe, at least I'll have some idea of what it is supposed to taste like.