• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montclair

pnapoli

Rosie: In this week's Table Hopping, you listed a new place called Island Spice on Walnut St. in Montclair. Any additional info about that?

Also, does anyone know anything about the restaurant/bar that opened around the corner from Walnut St. -- close to the Walnut St. train station? The name of the place escapes me at the moment, but I believe it is a man's name, like "Joe ___'s." The owners obviously spent a pile on renovating the place (it's pretty snazz), but I was wondering about the food. Thanks.

I passed Island Spice and it looked nicer than I expected. White table cloths and candles. Worth a try. I know the other restaurant you are talking about. It is quite snazzy but I was asked not to post the name as they want a quiet opening. Not cheap. I was there for a drink late one Sat. night and the bar was packed. There are some large "bouncers"/doormen outside. On Walnut St. I like Corso 98. BYO.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Had a really nice meal at 77 Walnut Street Restaurant about a year ago. A nice "New American" menu and a nice ambience. Stay away from Marzullo's on Grove; an ordinary lasagne, veal parm, pizza place with big prices. 77 Walnut is under-acclaimed, in my opinion. Other Montclair restaurants get a big play but this one is quite good.

On Walnut St. I  like Corso 98. BYO.

I have been to Corso twice and each time it has been fantastic. Last time we went, we walked in without reservations and the owner could not have been nicer. He is a super-friendly guy who makes you feel like you are a regular on your first visit. In fact, he remembered us from our first visit, which was probably about two months earlier. Anyway, there were no tables available on our second visit, so he set us up at a table in the kitchen, and explained that he plans to renovate that area of the kitchen in the future so that private parties can be seated there. It was really fun to observe the "behind the scenes" action. The owner's mom makes the pasta that they serve, and she was with us the entire time, kind of keeping an eye on us (in addition to our friendly server). The entire staff calls her "Mama." I ordered one of the pasta specials (linguini bolognese), and it was fabulous. We also got the roasted suckling pig (for the second time), which is amazingly tender and flavorful and served with roasted potatoes. Corso serves a goat cheese/honey/roma tomato appetizer that is not to be missed. The rock shrimp risotto cake app is also really tasty. I'll be returning in a few weeks when my Italian in-laws come to visit!

Anybody see a review or mention of 77 Walnut Street in the past 2 years?  This one seems to be overlooked by the reviewers.  I had a wonderful meal there.  Nice ambience and food.  Didn't even make Zagat.

There was a thread on that restaurant here in September, IIRC.

I had a fine dinner in an almost empty 77 Wanut around that time, and somebody else (201? maybe) had also experienced an enjoyable meal. I believe they switched chefs sometime over the summer, so an older review might not be helpful.

77 is BYO, entrees in the 15-20 range,

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo