• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crunchy Chicken Breasts

richbon

Crunchy Chicken Breasts

This recipe isn't true Southern fried chicken, but it will make some darn tasty fried boneless chicken breasts. Even better, this recipe is very hard to ruin (no chicken a la meteorite problems). This recipe adapted from Todd English's Figs Restaurant cookbook where it goes by the title, "Olivia's crunchy chicken." I actually made this tonight - next time I'll take pictures.

Yet another version that appeared on what is rapidly becoming an EG tome on Fried Chicken

• 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast "cutlets" (filet whole breast into two cutlets around 3/4 of an inch thick)
  • 1 T dijon-style mustard (tonight I actually used a Kosher deli-style strong mustard)
  • 2 beaten eggs
  • 2 c all purpose flour
  • 2 c Panko Japanese-syle bread crumbs
  • 2 tsp diced garlic
  • 3 T olive oil

Salt and pepper the cutlets and coat them with the mustard and garlic. Allow to marinate for 20-30 minutes. After the marination is complete, dry the chicken slightly with a paper towel. Next, coat with flour - egg - Panko (you know the drill). Heat pan (I used an aluminum non-stick), add oil. It's a very shallow fry, and you may need to add more oil if you do more than one batch. When the oil is hot, add the chicken. I found that 3-4 minutes per side cooked the meat thoroughly resulting in crispy, nicely browned - but not blackened fried chicken.

( RG1202 )