• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread Pudding cabin style by Debra Diller

PastryLady

Bread Pudding cabin style by Debra Diller

This recipe I made for a crowd for our dinner night at the yearly family reunion. Makes 4 Lasagna aluminum pans (can buy at any grocery store) or can be made in two full length hotel pans or whatever vessel you choose. Variations I usually make are rum raisin (use spiced bacardi rum) and chocolate. Caramel apple, any other booze and your own creation are also easily acceptable. Oven needs to be set at around 325-350 F depending on your altitude. Timing on this varies on how dry your bread is but is around an hour. I usually press on the top and it is done when no actual liquid oozes. Very technical I know...

• 2 qt 2% or Whole Milk
  • 2 qt Heavy Cream
  • 3 T Cinnamon
  • 1 Vanilla Bean scraped
  • 24 (lg) eggs
  • 6 Loaves of Brioche or other bread
  • 28 oz sugar

Preheat oven to 350 F. Put pan in bottom of oven with water. Often all I have available to use at the cabins is a broiler pan. Fill pan 3/4 full with Hot water and put in bottom of oven. Combine all ingredients in pitcher or large bowl except bread. Use an immersion blender to combine. Use 2T vanilla if you do not have a bean, otherwise use the bean seeds and save pod for other recipes (you can put in spice grinder to use as "vanilla bean"). Set mixture aside. Cut up bread or bread items (pound cake, sourdough, pull apart bread works well) into about 1 inch cubes. Divide bread into 4 pans to "measure". Have a bowl aside to toss bread with desired ingredient. When you take the bread out of the pans to toss, spray these pans with Pam or equivilent spray. Also can use butter if available. If using chocolate (I use about 3 pounds chocolate for two pans) melt chocolate first. Toss bread with ingredients of choice and press in pans. Pour liquid ingredients over pans and do not cover the top or fill liquid to top of bread. This gives a crunch for texture. Bake until when you press on the mixture that no liquid comes out about 45 min to an hour usually, depending on the altitude you are baking at. Rotate pans at least once during baking to make sure it is even. Serve warm with ice cream or creme anglaise

Keywords: Pudding, Dessert, Easy, Immersion Blender

( RG1161 )

Debra Diller

"Sweet dreams are made of this" - Eurithmics