• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas lunch on Christmas day.

Can anyone recommend a place for Christmas lunch on Christmas day? I have parents coming down from Glasgow and a small flat with hardly enough room to swing a turkey. I'd like to take them out but am balking at the £180 a head I have been quoted by Gordon Ramsay at Claridges. Any ideas.

Cheers.

Hotels are your best bet, as they have to keep their kitchens open to feed guests, and you should be able to do much better price-wise than Claridges. I had some wonderful Christmas Day lunches at the sadly missed L'Auberge de Provence at the St James's hotel.

The Brasserie Roux at the Sofitel St James's is not bad, and the prices are reasonable. Like other hotels, it should be open on the 25th.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

the following are all open on the day:

belair house (£99 for six courses champagne reception coffee petit fours a magician and music)

the capital (5 course, champagne, coffee and petit fours £125)

chutney mary (£48 for four courses and champagne cocktail)

granita (£32 for 3 courses including glass of champagne)

sofra restaurants at normal prices and menu in christophers place, tavistock st and shepherd st)

ozer (normal menu)

veeraswamy (4 courses inc glass of champagne for £45)

also (and pace, simon) mpw's drone's, the belvedere and the mirabelle are all open (£75 a head, i think) and no matter what you think of the food, he's hard to beat for glamour.