• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai Basil Pepper Jelly

chemprof

Thai Basil Pepper Jelly

This is good as: an appetizer when spread over cream cheese or goat cheese and served with crackers or toasted bread rounds or

a condiment with pork or lamb (or even chicken!).

This recipe is adapted from one called "Walt's Habanero Jelly" which can be found in various places on the net including "recipesource.com".

• 2 c chopped red and yellow bell pepper
  • 1 c fresh thai basil leaves
  • 1-1/2 c vinegar (1/2 & 1/2) rice wine and cider
  • 5 c sugar
  • 1 T lime or lemon juice
  • 5 habanero chiles (orange and/or red)
  • 1 tsp butter
  • 1 pkg pectin (powder, sure-jell)

Prepare jelly jars according to directions (wash w/ hot soapy water, sterilize lids by pouring boiling water over). I like to use the little 1/2 cup jars.

Seed and stem bell peppers, chop finely

CAREFULLY seed and stem habanero peppers (I highly recommend you wear a mask and gloves when you do this...these are the most toxic things I have worked with outside the lab!). Chop finely (I use a small food processor/chopper for this).

Measure sugar into a bowl. Place the chiles, bell peppers, dry pectin, vinegar and butter in a large stainless steel pot. Bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.

Add sugar immediately, return to a rolling boil and boil exactly one minute.

Remove from heat and fill prepared jelly jars. Wipe rims with damp cloth, cover with lid and screw on bands tightly.

Invert for 5 minutes then turn over and let cool slowly. After jars are cool check seals by pressing top of jars. If lid springs up, jar is not sealed (But can be kept in fridge!).

I shake these occasionally as they cool to distribute the peppers so it looks nice. Tastes just as good if you don't and just stir before serving. ;-)

Variations:

You can use from 5-15 habaneros, depending on how much heat you want! I usually use about 10.

I have made rosemary by subbing about 1/4-1/2 cups of chopped rosemary leaves. You might want to use all cider vinegar for that version.

Keywords: Hot and Spicy, Easy, Appetizer, Condiment

( RG1106 )