• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melinda's Favorite Guacamole

debsdelectables

Melinda's Favorite Guacamole

Serves 4 as Appetizer.

While I say 4 servings, these are the servings of true guacamole lovers. For Melinda and myself (amongst other guac aficionados) the rule of thumb is one avocado per person. Besides, the leftovers don't usually last longer than a day.

Chip recommendations: Santitas (Frito-Lay), Red Hot Blues (Garden of Eatin')--these are spicy, while the Santitas are very nice, white corn, restaurant-style chips. They're both highly addictive. If you use Red Hot Blues, test with Santitas, too, because if you're making this for guests, not everyone likes it as spicy as we do. ;D

• 1/2 tsp fresh chopped cilantro (dried works too, but only if the finished guac rests in the fridge for an hour or so before eating)
  • 4 ripe Haas avocados (make sure that they've been refridgerated for at least an hour before you make the recipe)
  • 1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 finely chopped cloves of garlic (the bigger, the better)
  • 1/4 c green salsa (I prefer Trader Joe's)
  • 1 tsp of hot sauce (the brand/flavor is up to you--Tabasco works just fine for me, but I like the green one to keep the color profile)
  • salt and pepper

1. Skin and de-stone the avocados.

2. Add the lemon juice, the garlic, the cilantro, 1/2 the salsa, and 1/2 the hot sauce.

3. Use a potato masher to squish down the avocados a few times.

4. Mix it with a spoon until the ingredients are combined (shouldn't take long).

5. Taste test with your favorite chip (or whatever you will be serving with the guac).

6. If it's spicy enough don't add any more hot sauce, but add the rest of the salsa.

7. Salt and pepper to taste.

If you use dried cilantro, refrigerate the dip for at least an hour before serving. If fresh, you can serve it immediately.

Keywords: Hors d'oeuvre, Kosher, Dinner, Side, Easy, Dip, Vegan, Snack, Healthy Choices, Vegetarian, Lunch

( RG1076 )

Deb's Delectables LLC

Handmade Chocolates to Delight the Palate