• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blueberry Pie

snowangel

Blueberry Pie

My grandmother made this pie. My mother-in-law makes this pie. Why, do yo ask, did you include this as a "main course." Simply because it can be a main course. Especially good for breakfast. The blue berries I made this with are picked by us, in the wild of the Northern NN cabin so documented in "The Cabin" thread on the Heartland forum. The plants are amazing in that they grow in almost no dirt, perched on granite outcroppings that have been recently logged. Unlike supermarket blueberries, these are small, and pack a powerful flavour-punch. This pie is unique in that it features both cooked and raw berries; sweet of the cooked, punch of the raw -- both in terms of taste and texture. It was a winner at a recent Twin Cities EG gathering, accompanied by Betts bitter orange ice cream. Betts ice cream did make a better match than the traditional whipped cream, and made a blueberry pie lover out of those who were skeptical. Cabin viewings and activities noted in recipe are optional.

Note: If you use frozen berries, this pie will be runnier, but still good.

This recipe comes from a very faded card in my great grandmother's recipe box (which is MINE). Spidery handwriting and all.

• 3/4 c Sugar
  • 3 T corn startch
  • tidge of salt (1/8?" tsp)
  • 1/4 c water
  • 4 c blueberries (divided)
  • 1 T butter
  • 2 T lemon juice
  • 1 pre-baked 9" pie crust

Combine sugar and cornstarch and salt in saucepan. Add water and 2 cups blueberries. Cook over medium heat (stir constantly while looking lovingly at the lake) until mixture comes to a boil. It will be quite thick and clear.

Remove from heat, add butter and lemon juice. Set aside and let cool. Go out on dock and have a cocktail.

Return to cabin, place 2 (or more) cups of blueberries into pie shell. Top with cooked berry mixture and chill. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream. Or just a glass of milk.

Keywords: Vegan, Dessert, Main Dish

( RG1059 )

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"